Barn door adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All,

I'm hearing a little bit of a rattle coming from the barn doors (I think). No leaks but just some rattles when driving, and I notice when I close the left door I can move it around a little.

Is there any adjustment here, or is this worn latches or what?

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure about the barn doors on the Suburbans, but the GMT400 cab doors are famous for worn out hinge pins and bushings. Doors are heavy (90 pounds), and the pins are skinny.

Easy test is to open the door, and see if you get much movement when you grab it at the latch end and try to move it up and down.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No discernible vertical movement. None of the doors exhibit any real sag, and latch freely without much force.

But when it's latched you can push/pull it and hear it clunk clunk. Driver's door is similar.

In my 1990 F-250 there are little plastic bushings on all the latch posts that you can replace to resolve this problem, but I don't see that feature on the Suburban..

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How's your weather stripping? There's actually an old TSB on these Suburbans for an updated barn door weatherstrip design, but I believe it was only for '97 and prior. Think they fixed it after that.

My doors don't rattle or anything, but they leak a few drops of water right in the center every time I drive through a pressurized car wash. I've replaced all the seals back there except the main piece of weather stripping that circles the entire barn door opening. That's on my list for the next trip to the body shop, already have the part.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks ok, not torn or anything, but might be worn. That would be my next guess though if there's not an adjustment..

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is some type of adjustment that can be done, but unfortunately I can't tell you how to do it as I just have the body shop take care of that stuff. They've adjusted the closure on my barn doors in the past for sure, though.