Bagged and bodied 99 c3500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just when I thought I had a grasp of the whole theory behind pinion angle the two part drive shaft throws me a curve.

At the transmission it reads 4.5 down.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then, sorry, I don't know what this is called, its the piece between the two halvesof the drive shaft, but it has a reading of 4.7. I "know" that is a tolerable difference.

Out at the diff to get a 4.6 up reading it looks like it's too dramatic.

Am I over thinking think and thus is the way things should be?

The frame is on stands level in both directions and the axle is level side to side and set at "ride height". Just trying to get everything in place.

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wishbone is tacked together and lower link bars are tacked in place.

I set ride height at what I figured would be about 3 inches off the ground, got everything level and square and ran my bars parallel and at the same length, that should keep everything in line. Everything seems to swing great, but I won't test it all out until I get my watts link so nothing moves out of place.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Just when I thought I had a grasp of the whole theory behind pinion angle the two part drive shaft throws me a curve.

At the transmission it reads 4.5 down.

Then, sorry, I don't know what this is called, its the piece between the two halvesof the drive shaft, but it has a reading of 4.7. I "know" that is a tolerable difference.

Out at the diff to get a 4.6 up reading it looks like it's too dramatic.

Am I over thinking think and thus is the way things should be?

The frame is on stands level in both directions and the axle is level side to side and set at "ride height". Just trying to get everything in place.
The middle part is the slip yoke and carrier bearing, isn't it?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Sounds right, to be honest I never bothered to look it up.
The long trucks have to have a two piece driveshaft, because it would be 10 feet long and subject to torque twist and excess deflection. I actually saw a ramp truck at a swap meet, that was so long it had two carrier bearing units in it, for a 3 piece driveshaft!
Our '84 square Burb had a 2 piece; a short, straight section about 2' long out of the trans, then the yoke/carrier bearing, and then the longer section to the rear axle. It was a half ton 350 but had the OD auto, 700 R4. The '90 2500 square Burb had the 2 piece unit too.
You have to be careful on these carrier bearing and yoke assemblies, to install them the correct direction and orientation. Otherwise you will get vibration and premature wear or parts. Guess how I know this? That '84, we had to do the job 3 times...on a gravel driveway...in January...the last time at night, cause we had to have the truck to go to work the next morning!