Baer brakes and hub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have on my 1998 K1500 Suburban a aftermarket Baer 14 inch brake rotors and Baer 2 piston calipers. I have a wheel bearing going so I thought I would change the assembly, pretty easy with the right tools. So, I go down get the hub assembly, bolt it on and the Baer brake rotor will not go over the plate with the lug nuts. The hub on the rotor is small. Seems like the hub was cut down to accommodate the Baer brake rotor. I have to change this wheel bearing assembly and am stuck. I bought this truck from a guy that works at the Miami University in Ohio and can't get in touch with him to find the original owner to find out what was done to this truck. The spindles seem to be different as well as they will not longer accommodate stock calipers.
Any suggestions anyone? Thanks for all you all do on here.
They use a stock hub with garbage bearings had to change mine also. Looked close at them and noticed all they did was put on a lathe and cut the diameter down used timken bearing and all still good

baxterday

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Called Baer and found out they pull the spindle out and machine it down so their rotor fits over it. I have to buy new wheel hub bearing kits, pull the spindle and put in the ones currently on my truck. Mystery solved.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Called Baer and found out they pull the spindle out and machine it down so their rotor fits over it. I have to buy new wheel hub bearing kits, pull the spindle and put in the ones currently on my truck. Mystery solved.
Your K model uses sealed unit bearings. You'll be cutting down the new ones, not pulling parts from your old ones to swap over.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MAYBE you're better-off cutting the rotor to fit the hub, than cutting the hub to fit the rotor.

Hard to say. The hub is likely more-permanent than the rotors which are kinda disposable once the pads wear out. But cutting the rotor ID might be easier than cutting the hub OD.

Worth thinkin' about.