Backfiring issue..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah mine had a bad skip to it and was popping thru the exhaust on acceleration and a raw gas odor.this past winter I had the issue of the pressure being to high due to the return line from the intake to tank being clogged due to moisture from the ethanol in the gas rusting the line on the inside which caused the truck to flood and backfire real bad.and caused the regulator to blow out

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah mine had a bad skip to it and was popping thru the exhaust on acceleration and a raw gas odor.this past winter I had the issue of the pressure being to high due to the return line from the intake to tank being clogged due to moisture from the ethanol in the gas rusting the line on the inside which caused the truck to flood and backfire real bad.and caused the regulator to blow out

Okay.. Just crossing my fingers that it isn't the spider injectors.. I'll see tomorrow when I do the fuel pressure test.. I'm thinking it could also be a vacuum leak issue

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Code came out as multiple misfire.. Did a fuel pressure test and it ran at about 60 psi and when I shut the car of and it held at about 55... What else could it be??

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you replace the distributor cap and rotor as well or just the distributor base? And with what brand?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What did you replace the distributor cap and rotor as well or just the distributor base? And with what brand?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Shop put in a whole new distributor cap and rotor. Not sure what brand but it was from Napa and was an oe replacement.. Maybe the teeth on the rotor slipped a gear?

Last edited:

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys have any ideas what it could be? Distributor? Timing chain? Bad plugs? Could it still be the injectors even though it held pressure?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We just did a new distributor on a 98... was doing the same thingafterwards..... make sure the timing is right on the money....we had it off just a few degrees and the computer didn't like it and also set a code.... also had a bad coolant temp sensor...it was reading -40 on the scanner so the timing was staying retarded...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it drivable... if so take if to oriellys, auto zone or most any big box parts store and they will read the code for free and clear it...