Auxiliary Engine Oil Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to install an auxiliary oil cooler alongside the one in the radiator? I'm looking to do something similar to the auxiliary trans cooler setup, but with the oil cooler. Thanks!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I see that you're in NV, but honestly, you don't want the oil to be even cooler. It needs to be hot enough to burn off moisture or it will turn acidic and eat your bearings. Even people in warm climates often do without the one in the radiator due to persistently leaky lines. There's not hardly a situation you can put a light duty truck into, in the continental U.S., that would require extra oil cooling beyond the factory systems.

Richard

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Just an idea, but if there is so many people that delete the oil cooler lines, is it practical to use the oil cooler as extra cooling for the tranny or is that section of the radiator to hot for any cooling?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just an idea, but if there is so many people that delete the oil cooler lines, is it practical to use the oil cooler as extra cooling for the tranny or is that section of the radiator to hot for any cooling?

By the time you got through flushing the holy crap out of it to be sure there's no engine oil left to contaminate your transmission, then make up the lines to attach it inline with the existing transmission cooler on the opposite side of the radiator, you'd be far better off just adding a purpose-made auxiliary transmission cooler that would work far better than that little thing inside the radiator.

Richard

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can get lines that will add an auxiliary trans cooler to the radiator one. My truck came factory with both the main and auxiliary coolers

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think everybody's pretty clear on that aux trans coolers exist. I was referring to the guy asking about using the engine oil cooler AS an aux trans cooler. A lot of effort, custom line making, for very, very little benefit. Just add a regular aux cooler.

Richard

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I wasnt planning on doing it. I just wanted to see if it would be worth doing it.