Ashtray springs... how do I connect these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '95 Suburban 2500 has the 1-piece ashtray + power outlets. It hangs in the downward position 100% of the time, because neither "hinge" spring seems to be attached in its tensioned position. Anyone know how to connect these things so the ashtray opens and closes properly? Both springs are still hanging there (attached photo might show it on one side), and I've messed around with trying to find the connection spots... but no luck. It would be nice to have this operating as designed.
You must be registered for see images attach

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
You're close...there's a tiny hole on the side of the plastic frame next to the glove box for the other end to fit into.

You must be registered for see images attach

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take a look for that... Is the spring under tension when the ashtray is open like that, or does the tension set in when you push it closed?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take a look for that... Is the spring under tension when the ashtray is open like that, or does the tension set in when you push it closed?
Slight pressure when open,it sort of ''pops'' into closed position.Remember there are two springs,one on each side.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, the one on the other side (drivers) is sitting right there in the same spot as the one seen in the photo (passenger side).

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Got the same issue on my truck, and I keep forgetting to ask about it. Previous owner messed with it, so I didn't get a chance to see how it was supposed to look.

Kobo_Dyger

Reaction score
I've fix the springs on two of my trucks by removing the drop panal to get at em.made it alot easier.