ANYONE TRY THIS ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, I bought a 94 k1500 with the 350 and it had a blown head gasket. tore engine down to get rebuilt. when tearing it down , I saw it had a roller camshaft. checked numbers on block and turns out the engine is a 97 model. evidently someone took a roller block, and put the 191 heads on it, and an aluminum stock intake., not sure how many miles on the engine, odometer shows 420.000 miles.
Internals of engine were worn badly, had to have block bored .20 over, had block decked,, , heads milled just enough to take out pitting as there was no warpage.. crankshaft turned .20 grind. new pistons, new camshaft, bearings, high volume oil pump. ect. I told the builder to put flat top pistons in it, but he thought I told him dish top, as that was what it had. I was planning to use the 191 heads that he rebuilt for me, with the flat tops, hoping to get a little higher compression ratio, and run it on mid grade fuel.
SO being he had already bought and installed the dish tops on the rods, I told him just finish it up. The short block is complete and im trying to decide if im going to just put the 191 heads back on or try a set of vortec heads. we put a stock cam back in it when he rebuilt the short block. we got all new cam rollers, ect. I have 2100 dollars in the engine so far . and have everything I need to finish it up.
my questions are, will a set of aftermarket or 96 and up heads give me any improvement in power while still using the TBI and stock fuel pump? as I have read the newer vortec engines use a higher pressure fuel pump. if so im thinking I can install an adjustable pressure inline electric fuel pump secondary to the pump thats in the tank, like BMW does with thier high pressure fuel systems. not really wanting to drop the tank. would also have to change the fuel pressure spring in the TBI . not sure how much spring pressure that can be used, as the diaphram the spring sits on may not be able to support a heavy spring,. biigest ive seen was a 15 lb pressure spring.
also for injectors, I have read that the 454 actually uses v6 injectors but at a higher pressure. I think with some trial and error, I can get the fuel pressure where it needs to be. some unknowns though are if the Stock TBI will flow enough air to feed the new style vortec heads efficiently. Im not wanting to go with a stand alone performance tbi unit, just too damn expensive.
The guy I bought the truck from said the engine ran good before it blew the head gasket so evidently the 191 heads work ok on a stock vortec roller block.
Im not really wanting to go junkyard hunting for some used heads because of the large amount of cracked heads in the 96 and up vortecs. would have to get them worked, and pray they dont crack.
so what would you do, put the 191 heads back on it, or try a set of 96 and up vortec heads?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
will a set of aftermarket or 96 and up heads give me any improvement in power while still using the TBI and stock fuel pump?
Yes they will but your TBI fuel pump will support about 230 HP. It only flows ~75L/Hr @ 13 PSI where the Vortec EP381 flows ~155 L/Hr @ 60 PSI, which will support up to 450 HP. The pressure regulator in your TB will handle the increased flow form the Vortec pump. You probably won't need to change the spring unless it's not giving you 13 PSI.

not sure how much spring pressure that can be used, as the diaphram the spring sits on may not be able to support a heavy spring,. biigest ive seen was a 15 lb pressure spring.
I've used a 28lb spring from a 94 - 95 454 TBI on my 46mm TB and no issues with the diaphragm. Currently I'm running an 18 LB spring set at 20 PSI.
You must be registered for see images attach

I have an AFPR on the TB - no extra regulator is necessary.

I have read that the 454 actually uses v6 injectors but at a higher pressure.
Close, on 94 - 95 7.4L TBIs, GM used 26 - 32 PSI where earlier models used ~13 PSI with bigger injectors.

some unknowns though are if the Stock TBI will flow enough air to feed the new style vortec heads efficiently
Probably as long as you don't try to rev it up higher than 4800 RPM more or less.

so what would you do, put the 191 heads back on it, or try a set of 96 and up vortec heads?
Personally, I wouldn't waste my time on a swirl port head. Some folks have worked on them to get better flow but I wouldn't. I'd bite the bullet and invest in something better.
Here's a link to Vortec cast iron heads

Or, for ~$400 more, aluminum TBI heads which flow better.

On another note, which water pump are you using? There's a difference between the TBI and Vortec blocks and heads including how they bypass, IIRC. @Erik the Awful did a nice write up about this and could probably give you some insight to this.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score