Anyone tried a TCI 6 speed 4l80e?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JavaMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock 4l80e is showing signs of age, slipping in third gear. It's in a 2500 Suburban, 115k miles, I have a 6400 pound travel trailer that I pull a few times a year, and a cargo trailer in that same weight range loaded, that I pull. This being AZ, the summertime temps are 110+, which makes things hot pulling up the hills (3k-4k feet elevation gain over 5-10 miles)

I'm thinking if I replace it, perhaps replacing it with a 6 speed from TCI Auto http://www.tciauto.com/tc/6x-six-speed-gm-automatic-transmission-850hphtml

Has anyone tried one of these six speed transmissions put into a 4l80e housing? Do you know if it's good for towing?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have zero experience with anything like that, but just wanted to bring up a quick point. You'd have to control it somehow, which means either tuning the factory PCM (probably impossible due to the nature of the transmission design, I don't know) or buy TCI's stand alone transmission controller.

If I were you I'd just rebuild your 80E, maybe throw in a shift kit, and call it a day.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
i just installed the TCI EZ-TCU with remote TPS. just those parts were close to 750. i'm having my 4L80 rebuilt for a little over 2K. how much money do you want to put into an old truck? and it's not put into a 4L80 case. it's completely new.
what year is it anyway?

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally I would swap in another 4L80e. They are very tough when properly taken care of. And one failing at 100k with stock power points to poor maintenance. Even in 110 degree towing heat. Add a nice big cooler and maybe a shift kit after the rebuild. Cheaper and simpler than anything other than stock.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't have the nice wide gear spread of a modern 6 speed so it kinda sucks in that respecr.

JavaMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a 96 suburban 2500. I bought it a yeat ago at 110k. Traded in my 1500 sierra when its 4l60 went out. The 60 never seemed to have the right gear for the speed. So i could either go over the speed limit and maintain 75, or drop to second gear and be stuck at 50 passing off other drivers who had to pass me.
I haven't towed mucj yet with the 80, but it slipped a few times pulling up hill. Frustrated that the dealership doesn't offer any warranty.

If I'm paying to fix it, I want it to last a long time

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Stock 4L80 is damn tough. 4L80 spread is tighter than the 60, so it's a twofold effect. Less power loss on upshift, but less power gain on a downshift.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
4L80 transmissions are very easy to rebuild. You need a clean space to work and some snap ring pliers and a couple c clamps or maybe a handheld clutch spring compressor and not much else. Dual feed mod is nearly free. There are lots of videos and instructions out there to help. Most stuff is the same as a TH400. A banner rebuild kit is about $100 on Rock Auto.