Anyone have a 96-99 truck with 3.42's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Ok the trip was worth it this time. I found both the front and rear with 3.42's. Under $500 for both. One problem there out of a 1990 truck so I can't used the Vin# to reflash the computer so the speed o will be right. Anyone feel like letting me use there vin # to reflash my computer? I can wait to get them in the truck.
the diffs have nothing to do with the speedo reading, its in the trans...

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok the trip was worth it this time. I found both the front and rear with 3.42's. Under $500 for both. One problem there out of a 1990 truck so I can't used the Vin# to reflash the computer so the speed o will be right. Anyone feel like letting me use there vin # to reflash my computer? I can wait to get them in the truck.

What year is your truck? If yours is 95+ you will also need new lug nuts. 88-94 are standard (1/2-20) an 95+ metric (M14x1.5). In half tons anyway, I assume the bigger trucks switched at the same time as well. You could also change all the studs if you didn't want to change lugs....

the diffs have nothing to do with the speedo reading, its in the trans...

The correct gear ratio an tire size has to be flashed to the computer for the speedo to read correctly though. There's nothing to change in the trans to get it to read correctly like on the older ones.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck? If yours is 95+ you will also need new lug nuts. 88-94 are standard (1/2-20) an 95+ metric (M14x1.5). In half tons anyway, I assume the bigger trucks switched at the same time as well. You could also change all the studs if you didn't want to change lugs....

The correct gear ratio an tire size has to be flashed to the computer for the speedo to read correctly though. There's nothing to change in the trans to get it to read correctly like on the older ones.

My 94 had metric lug nuts..... To be honest I haven't seen a 400 without metric lug nuts......

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really worried about the lug nuts. I need the vin # from a 96 and new truck with 3.42 gear to reflash my 98 computer. Thanks guys.

If you got a hypertech or a custom tune you could have it changed then an also get other benefits at the same time. Depending on what a dealer is chasing for your reflash it might not be that much more expensive....

GMC/Cummins

Reaction score
does it have to be 4x4?

No I don't believe so. I have 12 valve Cummins engine in this truck, the only thing the computer is used for is the speedo and the a/c. It's does nothing else. I don't want to buy a programmer that I can't use. A good friend of mine has a shop that can reprogram it but I need a vin#. Thanks guys.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot about the Cummins :doh2:

I'll cruise autotrader tonight an see if I can find a truck with the right gears.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
No I don't believe so. I have 12 valve Cummins engine in this truck, the only thing the computer is used for is the speedo and the a/c. It's does nothing else. I don't want to buy a programmer that I can't use. A good friend of mine has a shop that can reprogram it but I need a vin#. Thanks guys.

this is a VIN for a 1996 C1500, Auto, 350, 3.42's

2GCEC19R4T1238639