Anyone have a 96-99 truck with 3.42's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3.42s will be a rarity in a bigger truck since they were generally work horses, but they do exist

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

GMC/Cummins

Reaction score
Yes I'm starting to find this out. Going to a salve yard tomorrow to look at a set of rears (front and rearends) that they say has the 3.42 ratio. The last time I drove 2 hours to a place near Boston because "we checked them" and it was a set of 4.10's.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re reading the title, you should be able to use rear ends from 88- 00 classic model trucks with the axle you need, 88 is same as 98 as far as rear ends go, so long as the lug pattern and axle size matches

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

GMC/Cummins

Reaction score
Ok the trip was worth it this time. I found both the front and rear with 3.42's. Under $500 for both. One problem there out of a 1990 truck so I can't used the Vin# to reflash the computer so the speed o will be right. Anyone feel like letting me use there vin # to reflash my computer? I can wait to get them in the truck.