Anyone ever have a bad/stretched timing chain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a timing chain lose tension or stretch? As far as I know, the motor has about 110,*** miles on it since the rebuild, when the chain was allegedly replaced.

Can someone explain what happens when one stretches or jumps a tooth? My truck bogs down BAD under even the slightest acceleration. Seems like it does it worse in Open loop when the motor is warmed up, probably because it's trying to advance the timing and the chain can't keep up. Does that make sense?

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My buddy has 470k miles on his 5.7 tbi.......still using the factory timing chain.....so i would think yours would be ok....but who knows.....i have 193k on mine and it runs perfect

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine isnt....but my buddy with 470k miles drives his truck hard......and everyday.....motor runs just as good as mine if not better....very responsive and doesnt miss at all......i wanted to swap mine out,but realizing how he treats his motor,i dont feel like im risking anything.

My 95 had 160k on stock chain,and that truck was abused hard

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn, I'm out of ideas then. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Im not saying you shouldnt replace it.....but i just know of alot of people who treat their motors like total trash,and who have a million more miles then you who have no problem at all

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I see where you're coming from. But everything else is 100% other than needing a chip. I think my cam and heads are playing hell with the timing, and if the chain is weak, it wouldnt be able to advance like it's supposed to.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have to remember if the chain has been changed, some aftermarket manufacturers don't use the same quality or even a good quality metal. I've always had good luck with GM. A heavier valve spring will stretch a timing chain, if the chain is not large enough to handle the spring pressure.

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had to change them in the 100-130,000 mile range on my old camaros.
My 86 GMC made it 175K before it stripped the gears on the upper sprocket and left me sitting.
I'd change it just for peace of mind if it was me. They're cheap enough and easy to do.