Any way to lift a hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something like this and just wire it to a toggle... prob be handy for the pesky tailgaters as well

3ft light bar

You must be registered for see images attach

zraffz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Receiver behind the plate? I just want to lift my current hitch so it sits up under the rear bumper.

You didn't read that properly. He said it should mount and sit normally on a truck with a BL.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Something like this and just wire it to a toggle... prob be handy for the pesky tailgaters as well

3ft light bar

That might be a little much for me!

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
You didn't read that properly. He said it should mount and sit normally on a truck with a BL.

And that is what I'm looking for, I want the hitch to sit just under the bumper. Wasn't sure if there were relocating brackets or anything.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
If you don't want to buy a hidden hitch and you are good at finding **** in junkyards then you could use a hitch from a obs escalade/denali and it would sit up there.

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That might be a little much for me!

Yes it is, i meant the over all shape though, that is meant for a roof rack type deal and 3 ft is to long anyway probably want 1ft or 2ft. or fab up some sheet metal and punch some holes for your light of choice.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it is, i meant the over all shape though, that is meant for a roof rack type deal and 3 ft is to long anyway probably want 1ft or 2ft. or fab up some sheet metal and punch some holes for your light of choice.

If you did go with a filler panel and possibly lights I'd recommend putting in a set of lights as auxilary back up lights (run them off a relay! don't run them straight off the factory circuit) and then wire up a toggle switch so that you can turn them on manually as well. If you want help wiring them this way I'd be willing to help you. I have a set of auxilary back up lights that I mounted on the sides of the hitch and I wired them up this way. I use them all the time when backing up (it's automatic in reverse! haha) but I used them the other day while I was unhitching a trailer at night. The way mine are wired it actually turns on the normal back up lights too.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
If you did go with a filler panel and possibly lights I'd recommend putting in a set of lights as auxilary back up lights (run them off a relay! don't run them straight off the factory circuit) and then wire up a toggle switch so that you can turn them on manually as well. If you want help wiring them this way I'd be willing to help you. I have a set of auxilary back up lights that I mounted on the sides of the hitch and I wired them up this way. I use them all the time when backing up (it's automatic in reverse! haha) but I used them the other day while I was unhitching a trailer at night. The way mine are wired it actually turns on the normal back up lights too.

Dude, you are the man! I have been thinking about this and looking at my hitch tonight. Aux lights would be nice because I pull a trailer just about every weekend and seeing out my back window at night is a pain already. Did you run power and ground off a toggle switch to the lights? It would be great if you could throw some ideas and pics my way if you have them. Thanks :handshake:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
After lifting my truck I couldn't fit a spare under the truck so i tucked the hitch up behind the bumper. Just bought a new 2" tube and welded it through the side plates like the original hitch, then used the receiver portion from the old hitch welded below it.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude, you are the man! I have been thinking about this and looking at my hitch tonight. Aux lights would be nice because I pull a trailer just about every weekend and seeing out my back window at night is a pain already. Did you run power and ground off a toggle switch to the lights? It would be great if you could throw some ideas and pics my way if you have them. Thanks :handshake:

Ok well Here's how I wired it. I might do it differently in the future but this seems to work well. I haven't noticed any bad sideeffects about doing it this way so here's how I did it.

I ran a new wire for the new lights from the back of the truck up into the engine bay. I mounted a relay under the ECM (that makes a great spot for relays like the Hi4 and this and anything else you need relays for. Nice and hidden) I ran power from the fuse box to the relay. I tapped into the green back up lights wire that is in the bundle of wires going to the rear of the truck along the frame rail and ran that up to the relay also. I mounted a toggle switch in the dash that when it's powered on it sends power to the turn on pin of the relay the same way the green back up lights wire does.

The side affect of how I did this is that when I turn on the toggle switch it basically energizes the entire stock back up lights circuit. I thought that might do something funky to the truck but it hasn't seemed to. I thought about putting a diode inline with the stock back up lights wire so that the toggle doesn't energize it but then the factory back ups won't work off the toggle. Maybe you want it that way maybe you don't. Another option would be to put the diode in but to make the relay power the stock lights and everything too. The down side to that is if your relay failed you'd be without back up lights all together. Although if you buy a good quality relay and/or carry a spare that probably shouldn't be an issue.

There are my relays

Here is the extra wire loom that holds the extra wire that I ran from the front to the back. The stock loom was full enough that running another wire through it would have been a major PITA.

Originally I mounted the lights like this. The beam pattern was ok but not great. I found out the errors of this way however when I noticed that they were half full of water after a rain storm. Turns out they aren't sealed units and the vent/drain hole is on the bottom which when they were mounted like this was halfway up the side.

I welded up a custom bracket and mounted them the proper way.

They are tucked up high enough that you can't see them unless you bend/kneel down and look for them. Even when you do they don't look tacky or like a bolted on hack job. Stock looking and stealthy... Just how I like it. The bumper shadows them a little bit but with careful aiming they still put some decent light quite a ways behind me. Maybe someday I'll put HIDs in them and put a delay circuit on the relay so that they don't turn on every time I pass reverse on the way from park to drive....