Any suggestions for routing backup camera video wire to head unit in a ‘96 Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m about to start into a backup camera installation in my ‘96 K2500 Suburban, and am interested in seeing how other Suburban owners have routed the video wire from the camera to the head unit. Youtube videos of BU camera installation in an OBS Suburban are not all that common.

I’m hoping a few folks here have done this, and are willing to share what they’ve learned.
Thanks

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran the wire under the head liner all the way to the rear, it required the removal of some trim panels. You could try to use an electricians fish tape to pull the wire from the front to the rear and forego the trim removal.
Thanks. That's an option I hadn't thought of. Where did you run the wire from the camera on the license plate into the cabin to access the headliner? Did you use an existing hole or drill a new one? I'd like to avoid drilling a hole, if possible.

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That's an option I hadn't thought of. Where did you run the wire from the camera on the license plate into the cabin to access the headliner? Did you use an existing hole or drill a new one? I'd like to avoid drilling a hole, if possible.
When I did mine I ran it down low. From the bumper up into the space behind the driver side tail light. Tapped the reverse light circuit there, then ran it inside the cabin through the fender cover behind the spare tire, under both driver side door sill plates, and up into the dash behind the hood release kick panel.

Can't remember exactly where I brought the wire in, done too many cams on too many vehicles, but pretty sure I just punched a new hole under the barn door sill plate and added a grommet.

Previous owner did the one on my Tahoe. They drilled through the driver's footwell panel under the carpet and ran the wire externally along the frame from there to the camera.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did mine I ran it down low. From the bumper up into the space behind the driver side tail light. Tapped the reverse light circuit there, then ran it inside the cabin through the fender cover behind the spare tire, under both driver side door sill plates, and up into the dash behind the hood release kick panel.

Can't remember exactly where I brought the wire in, done too many cams on too many vehicles, but pretty sure I just punched a new hole under the barn door sill plate and added a grommet.

Previous owner did the one on my Tahoe. They drilled through the driver's footwell panel under the carpet and ran the wire externally along the frame from there to the camera.
Thanks. Like the one in your Tahoe, I thought about running it externally along the frame, as shown in one youtube video, but having it inside the cabin seems like it has some advantages.

I'll pull the barn door sill plate and look for a good spot to drill a new hole. I ordered some grommets, and they'll be here Monday.

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Like the one in your Tahoe, I thought about running it externally along the frame, as shown in one youtube video, but having it inside the cabin seems like it has some advantages.

I'll pull the barn door sill plate and look for a good spot to drill a new hole. I ordered some grommets, and they'll be here Monday.
Take the driver's tail light out and look in there too. I know the light wiring goes into the cabin from there, and I think the bottom might be open to the undercarriage for drainage but unsure. As I said, been awhile since I was in there, but if it is you might be able to skip the drill and run it that way.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the driver's tail light out and look in there too. I know the light wiring goes into the cabin from there, and I think the bottom might be open to the undercarriage for drainage but unsure. As I said, been awhile since I was in there, but if it is you might be able to skip the drill and run it that way.
Good advice, thanks. I’ll check it out.

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine has rear A/C, and the pressure lines enter through a foam/rubber seal behind the passenger side rear wheel. I poked a hole in that little seal and pushed the RCA wire through and added a little sealant to keep it water tight. Then, I had to remove some of the rear panels and ran it up the passenger side of the truck under the carpet and under the door sill plates all the way up to the passenger front foot well. Then it was easy to plug in behind the dash.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has rear A/C, and the pressure lines enter through a foam/rubber seal behind the passenger side rear wheel. I poked a hole in that little seal and pushed the RCA wire through and added a little sealant to keep it water tight. Then, I had to remove some of the rear panels and ran it up the passenger side of the truck under the carpet and under the door sill plates all the way up to the passenger front foot well. Then it was easy to plug in behind the dash.
Thanks. Mine has rear A/C as well. Funny thing is I was just looking at that spot yesterday, to check the drain tube, which disintegrated when I touched it. I’ll go back and look at it as an entry point. Did you also get power for the camera at the passenger side taillight?

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks like a reasonable place to poke the video cable through, especially around the larger of the two pipes. I'll pull the fender cover off in the cabin to see what it looks like from above.

You must be registered for see images attach

On a side note, my rear A/C blower is stuck on high, so I'm thinking I'll have to get in there anyway to see if a resistor's gone bad.