Any other 16 17 18 year old members out there.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
The NBS might be a little cheaper, and of course they have the LS swap already done LoL.
But for my experience the OBS/400 are better trucks. And I'm not just saying that because I'm on the 400 forum, I felt that way before I knew about this community!
Yes ma'am. I've always wanted a 400 way b4 joining. Heart beat of AMERICA!!!

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well when I was really little my dad got a lightly used 92 K1500 (only a couple years old at the time) to replace his 84 that got stolen. I grew up riding around in that 92, lots of memories of going camping and hunting with dad and grandpa in that truck. I always knew I wanted one when I was old enough and I got one as my first car. I shopped for months to find just the right one and found it while out of town visiting the family for Christmas. Pure luck and perfect timing. The guys I bought it from were hungover when we met the morning after Christmas and I was able to talk them down a bit and got it under Blue Book.

It was perfect, optioned out exactly as I would have done it if I had a time machine to go back to 1998 and order it new. It's still my DD today, I got it at 62k miles and now it's over 200k, and I have 3x as much money in modifications and major repairs than I originally bought it for.

Now I have it built up exactly the way I imagined it as a kid, and all I do these days is fix all the stupid little things that pop up around this age/mileage and pay too much for gas!

I'm considering buying something newer and smaller to DD so the truck can have a break and get the TLC it needs. I'll never sell it though, it'll always be worth fixing.

Long story short, as long as kids keep seeing these trucks around and growing up with them, some of them will be into them as teenagers.
Yup, I've got a '92 and it is the best damn rig ever! Hurray for the '92's and OBS.

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The NBS might be a little cheaper, and of course they have the LS swap already done LoL.
But for my experience the OBS/400 are better trucks. And I'm not just saying that because I'm on the 400 forum, I felt that way before I knew about this community!
I completely agree, the 400's are a better truck...less crap!

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, I've got a '92 and it is the best damn rig ever! Hurray for the '92's and OBS.

I like my 98 and certain things about the 96+ trucks but I'm really starting to miss/appreciate the older style interior.

I completely agree, the 400's are a better truck...less crap!

The GMT800s aren't bad, my dad and grandpa and uncle have one and it's really not THAT much different, but the 90s and early 2000s (for certain cars) were a golden age for car technology. You got fuel injection to give you more power and better mpg but not so much electronic crap that it ruins it. I remember seeing a newer BMW at the junkyard with the carpet stripped out and you would not believe how many little computer boxes are stuck all over the place.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I like my 98 and certain things about the 96+ trucks but I'm really starting to miss/appreciate the older style interior.

The GMT800s aren't bad, my dad and grandpa and uncle have one and it's really not THAT much different, but the 90s and early 2000s (for certain cars) were a golden age for car technology. You got fuel injection to give you more power and better mpg but not so much electronic crap that it ruins it. I remember seeing a newer BMW at the junkyard with the carpet stripped out and you would not believe how many little computer boxes are stuck all over the place.
I want one with the pre 95 interior. Looks like a updated square body.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they do! I've thought that myself. '95 up is more streamlined like the outside though.
Both have their good and bad points....
I got the 1988 because I wanted the work truck style but appreciate that others prefer the SUV style interior. I think it's quite fortunate that these trucks give you the option of exactly the same exterior but a choice of two totally different interior styles depending on what you like. There is something for everyone.