any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wewsel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck does this weird thing where sometimes the blower fan kicks on for just a second when the key is off and not even in it. I've always treated it like it was talking to me. Lol. I will be out by my shed and it will do this and I'll just say, " OK, I'll drive you later". Now someone has said it may be a short and I don't want my truck to burn up. Any ideas?

monical

Reaction score
It won't. But it must connect in w wrong way inside it. You had better go to repair it before you find the reason.

DAC_CFH

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of curiosity- When you use the fan speed selector switch does the fan cycle through all speeds or does it just stay on one speed all the time? And when it comes on- What setting does it appear to be on?

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Maybe check the blower motor relay(behind glove box). The relay receives power all the time from the 50Amp A/C maxi fuse(under hood). That(hot all the time)power is only supposed to go through the relay when the fan speed selector is set to high. The fan speed selector only receives power(to control relay&lower speeds)while the key is in the run position. The relay receives power all the time, even while the key is out.

While the key off, a gently tap on that relay might be one test to try(see if the blower comes on). Maybe there is better way to test the relay, but I dunno for sure.

Another test might be to pull that 50Amp A/C fuse and see if the problem goes away(naturally you go without high speed blower during this test).

Links with some pics/info about relay location etc:
http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2010/11/1997-gmc-c1500-pickup-no-blower.html
http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2010/11/1997-gmc-c1500-pickup-no-blower-part-2.html

Food for thought.

Best of luck.

wewsel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds logical. It does it when the key is not even in the truck. Even when the fan selector is off. I'll check on that my next off day. I was supposed to be off tomorrow, but that changed.