Any ideas of what this could be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonwin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know man. It only does it when I'm in gear so I figured if it was a fuel pump it would do it all the time and not just when I'm hear but Im not sure

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Your truck does need more fuel when it is in gear so it could be the culprit but I am not familiar with the older motors.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well when was the last time you did tune up? Tell us what you have done to this motor performance and especially maintenance wise? Could be a fuel issue but also could be missing. So does it just barely fluctuate 100 rpms or so and that's it or does it straight up bog and act like it wants to die? Need mow info

Luke(MI)

Blow Smoke
Reaction score
I'm with SouthernPride and DirtyHick on this'n. Sounds like what my Ram 2500 did just before the fuel pump when to hell... Idled fine but bogged out or completely stalled when gong down the road till I pinned it and she'd take off like a bat outta hell.

jonwin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to drop about 100 to 200 rpm when it does it and the whole truck rumbles.
Probly time for a tune up so I'll see if replacing the plugs wires cap and rotor makes a difference.

I haven't messed with the motor at all except for oil changes and making sure all of the fluids are good. Bare stock with 60000 original miles

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pull your cap off and inspect it. its free to do and if its bad its a cheap fix, if the contact points are all green and corroded get a new cap. chances are if it needs a new cap it could use plugs and wires as well. If its the fuel pump you would know. especially on those older motors. you dont need a lot of pressure for the tb unlike the vortec. and putting cap, wires, plugs on a vehicle is never wasted money

jonwin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I replaced the cap and rotor and spark plugs haven't put the new wires in yet because the problem stopped. But after about 5 days of driving with no issues it's back again. But only at idle

I put on acdelco cap and rotor and acdelco stock plugs gaped at .35