answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86454k30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is very interesting, normally if something is wrong then it shift late and soft and actually seems to be delayed......i dont know if you have any contact with the previous owner but id see if you could ask and see if maybe they put a higher stall torque converter in when they owned it, like perhaps a 2400 stall? but it doesnt sound like anything is "wrong" but norrmally 4l60e's shift at 1900-2100 when just driving normally

Thanks for the info...I don't think they added a convertor. I am going to do a service on it just because.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
id maybe go to a tranny shop and have them diagnosis it, normally evern at an expensive shop its only like $50 for them to hook it up to their computer but dont let them fool you into thinking something is wrong with it that probably isnt

truckintim05

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lost 3rd and 4th.

6. No 3rd or 4th gear: “3-4” clutches are worn out. R&R. The car is safe to drive (in 2) until you can get it fixed.

According to this I just need a rebuild, but does anyone think it would be worth it to replace the shift solenoids first?

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
I lost 3rd and 4th.

6. No 3rd or 4th gear: “3-4” clutches are worn out. R&R. The car is safe to drive (in 2) until you can get it fixed.

According to this I just need a rebuild, but does anyone think it would be worth it to replace the shift solenoids first?
i had that happen to me and then thats when i came across this information so i took my tranny out and rebuilt it but realized that my clutches were damn near about perfect,(i replaced them anyways) but then after the rebuild was done i put it back in and still didnt have 3rd or 4th so i looked intoit more and it was just the electronics, id replace the shift soleniods, the tcc lock up solenoid and the entire harness in the tranny, im willing to bet that it will fix the problem and save you a rebuild