Another issue with the dually, now the rear end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeeperguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like an open to me. On the open you can't see the guts. What really scared me is the c clip. That axle doesn't use c clips. I would pull the axles and hubs to check for shrapnel. Rod out the axle tubes and put 5 cans of brake cleaner through them. Give the wheel bearings a thorough inspection. If you don't get any more fragments put it back together and fill it up.
If you want a different diff in there check the gear pattern and the backlash BEFORE you remove the old one. When the new one goes in make the pattern and backlash EXACTLY the same as it was before or the ring and pinion will buy the farm in short order. If you want new gears now is the time. I am paranoid so I would change the gear lube out after a few hundred miles and double check everything.
That's the plan over next couple days, and I meant a retaining ring, its not an actual c clip.

Jeeperguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got home and dove right in, pulled axles and center section and everything looks fine!! Even the brake hardware is new. I'm thinking it may have been an old wheel bearing that took a **** at some time, and some of it was left in the axle tube. Finally made its way to the pumpkin?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: