Another brake light issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody possibly need it more than you did? Or playing a sick joke?

Either way try it and report back. Cheap and easy

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, a bit of bad news. Even though there's a provision for a brake lamp relay, and it's in my Haynes manual, I do not however have an electrical connection for one. There are no connectors in the slots labeled for a brake lamp relay. So I definitely never had one.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I am 6'2" and around 300 and I got mine out and in with no issues :shrug: have you tried sitting or kneeling beside your truck and reaching up at eye level, it's what I did and had no issues :shrug:

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am 6'2" and around 300 and I got mine out and in with no issues :shrug: have you tried sitting or kneeling beside your truck and reaching up at eye level, it's what I did and had no issues :shrug:
On your 89? As far as I've found out, 88-94 had different switches than the 95-98. The older models were adjustable. The newer ones are not.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
My mistake, I didn't notice your year model :nono: I'm sure there is a way to get to it though.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont really want to just start unhooking everything in the way. The switch was replaced once already about a year ago in the driveway, I dont see why it's so hard to make the time this time around. It was maybe a 10 minute thing that my uncle did. And we found out that it wasnt the switch, but we kept the new one in anyways.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
Well with mine, it wasn't bad. I returned the one I bought. It had slipped off of the tabs on the brake pedal. It was only hanging on by the c clip that slides onto the rod above the pedal. Reach up under there and hold onto the switch and push the pedal with your other hand. If the entire switch moves, it has come out of place.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's in place properly. I can wedge myself under there enough to push the brake pedal and see that it's doing what it's supposed to do, I just cant get my hand in there. When I get my hand seemingly far enough, it's too far from the switch.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
It sounds like the switch to me if the other lights work. One of the contacts could be burnt. It's a simple design that looks very fragile. I should have replaced mine for future peace of mind, but money was extremely tight at the time. If you can find someone with small enough hands to swap it out, pick one up and swap it. If it doesn't solve the issue, take it back.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the only person I know with small enough hands, has his head stuck so far up his new girlfriend's @$$ that he's becoming the creature from The Descent. I'll try in a few hours after I pick up my girlfriend to get my hand up there, unplugging things or not.