Another brake light issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, let's try to make this short. Within the last week, I've lost my brake lights.
  • Tail lights with headlights on, check.
  • Left blinker, check.
  • Right blinker, check.
  • Hazards, check.
  • Flash when alarm activated/deactivated, check.
  • Brake lights with pedal pressed, nope.
I've checked under the dash at the wiring going to the brake switch and it's all good. Havent checked the switch itself yet. I'm not limber enough to get around the steering shaft to get to it. Plus, it's only a few months old and was bought brand new.
I checked the trailer wiring that's tucked up between the body and the hitch and it looks good. Nothing loose.
Tails are the eBay LED special and the plug is secure and nothing looks out of place on the back of each light.
Also, the fuses all check out, except for a brake light relay under the hood. It's completely not there, but I also dont think it was ever there.

Last edited:

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a similar problem, i bought a new brake switch and still no lights. I diagnosed it with a test light. Took off the rear tail light and checked there, no power. I checked the brake switch and had power... Ended up being Brake switch needed an adjustment. Hope it kinda helps, good luck. Rick

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a similar problem, i bought a new brake switch and still no lights. I diagnosed it with a test light. Took off the rear tail light and checked there, no power. I checked the brake switch and had power... Ended up being Brake switch needed an adjustment. Hope it kinda helps, good luck. Rick
Adjustment how? Also, I've had the new tails for a few months. Not a single problem. The only major thing that has happened was I changed the gasket on the rear diff. You dont think something came loose when I jacked it up, do you?

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Adjustment how? Also, I've had the new tails for a few months. Not a single problem. The only major thing that has happened was I changed the gasket on the rear diff. You dont think something came loose when I jacked it up, do you?

Try the test light at the tail light to verify nothing got loose. On the brake switch there's a little white slider, you move it and then step on the brake and it's adjusted. That was the problem on my 88.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cant even get to the brake switch. I can just barely see that it's still connected to the pedal. Plus, if the switch was bad, I wouldnt have any lights at all, would I?

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A good switch if it's not adjusted can make it seem there's no brake lights. That's what mine was doing, I'd slam the brake pedal and not one taillight would turn on.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'd do the trouble light checking as mentioned.

Start back a the tail light plugs. if no light, this will eliminate your taillight LEDs as the issue. If you get light, the problem is in your tai lights (highly unlikely as Both would have to fail simultaneously)

Then, if they're good you can jump the wires in the brake light switch. If they light, your issue is the switch. Either out of adjustment or its gone titters......

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well for the moment, I have no test light. Someone, I wont name names, broke the bulb and still hasnt replaced it...

And I cant even get my hand up to the switch to check for a slider. I spent 30 seconds trying and 5 minutes trying to get my arm unstuck.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Any 12v bulb can be used to make a trouble light. Just solder two lengths of wire on to 'er, a bit of electrical tape and off you go....

:)

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any updates? I bought some LED tails from eBay and they have been fine since I got them a few months ago. The other day I bought a couple 194 LEDs to replace my tag lights. Previous owner only had on light and the other side was for trailer plug. I put the bulb in the original socket and it worked. Well I took the trailer plug out (the wires have been cut and disconnected since I've had it) then put two new lamp lenses on the bumper. I had to buy a new harness from lmc so I can have two bulbs (BTW don't buy the harness its a POS). I put the new harness on finally got the bulbs situated so they'd stay on and I got to start the truck for work last night and have no tails or tag lights. I put the old harness back on and nothing, took it off completely and nothing! I just left work and I started it and they came on, then pushed the brake and they went out. Any ideas?