Android tablet as in dash audio, GPS and multi function display.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm brand new to these forums. First time posting. My first thread is on the topic of converting an Android tablet to be used as an audio head unit and/or maybe GPS and entertainment purposes. Has anyone seen this done in a GMT 400? (More specifically, my truck is a 98). I'm trying to locate a adapter to take place of the factory radio location, I may have to build one from scratch. I plan on allowing the tablet to be plug and play, and removable, if necessary. As I find more information I will post on here when I can. I would love to just purchase a pre-made in dash touch screen kit, but they are far too expensive for what they are. Plus this is way cooler, much more custom, and shall promote versatility. A big thanks if anyone has seen any pre-fabbed adapters for a 7 inch screen (I plan on using a Google Nexus 7 from ASUS). :boti:

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
It's been done. Here's one pic, but he doesn't have a build thread on it, and no other pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

There are a couple other members that have done it, but I can only find one other, and he moved his pics. I'll see if he'll send 'em to me.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome picture! Thanks for finding it. :) I'm also really digging those instrument cluster gauges on his dash.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Agreed, any idea where those gauges are from by chance?

I personally plan on doing a similar idea on my Mustang with my iPad Mini. I'm going to remove the head unit and run the audio signal directly from the dock connector on the iPad to an amp powering the cars speakers. The plan for mounting is to create a magnetic custom fiberglass dock for the iPad that I can lay it in a take it out with one hand whenever I hop in the car

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
It's a billet overlay done by Empire Billet.

Link to the gauges: http://www.empirevehicleaccessories...Trucks-SUVs-Center-Dash-Overlay-Polished.aspx

Link to the site, they have EVERY billet interior piece you could ever want: http://www.empirevehicleaccessories.com/

Here are the gauges themselves. He said they were reverse glow gauges, not sure if these are them (not my truck), but they look like the same idea: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-95-98...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6b67ac0d&vxp=mtr

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the links. Kinda pricey, but this still might be a future project. If I find the kit for any cheaper I'll put a link up. :)