Amplifier Power Wire , Sub Choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Burban57

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello I have a 97 Suburban 1500
Any issues/suggestions for running my 1/0 amp power wire from the battery thru the firewall and to the back? I already have one 10 inch sub with 1000 RMS. Also have a choice of two 8s with 300 RMS each.
Are 12s necessary in a big a$$ bourbon or will the 8s and or the 10 be enough?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I would use a firewall pass thru for the big power wire.

I don't like cables going through metal panels much even with a proper grommet.

As far as size/number of subs it depends on what you are looking for in sound.
I have a cheap, junk, Walmart special 10" powered sub in Frank and it's perfect for me. Will it thump the paint off? No. Does it fill in enough bass that I can hear the radio with the windows down on the highway? Yes.

There are several guys on here that do stereo stuff for a living. I'm sure one or more of them will reply soon enough.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a 1/0 wire through the firewall and used a grommet, been that way for about a year now with no problems. Currently running a single Svr-12 in a sealed box and it sounds good. Would definitely be enough for a burb as long as your not trying to blow the windows out of it. Currently have it on a 2000 watt rms amp with the gain way down.

This is an older pic, I have since added another amp for door speakers and tweeters:
You must be registered for see images attach

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I’m not sure if u mean running two 8s and a 10 or one or the other. I do not recommend mixing different size subs, they tend to cancel each other out and ends up sounding bad.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on using a firewall pass-through instead of a grommet; it's far safer. I have one on my stepside to pass power through to the power/heated seats.