Ammeter Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ME TOO 2

Reaction score
Hello
Along with upgrading my charging system (AD244 Alternator, larger diameter battery cables, better grounding) I would like to install an ammeter
The instrument would either use a shunt or a wrap around current sensor.
(I do not want to insert a meter directly into the circuit & run full amperage into the cab)
There are a number of good (& pricey) ones on the market

The question is:
Where in the charging circuit do I install the sensor or shunt?
I have seen different (conflicting?) information on the web
  • on the wire from battery negative to ground
  • on the wire between battery + and alternator
  • on the battery + (primary) wire as it goes to the starter
The 2 battery setup in my k2500 confuses the situation further, as each battery connects to ground: and the batteries cross connect in parallel

Would also like advice on ammeter range.
For example if the max current output of the alternator is 200 amps should the meter range be
-200 to 0 to + 200?

Thanks
Ed

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The answer is: it depends.
For me, I would want to know total amperage of the system is, so if you only have one alternator, but 2 batteries, I would connect the ammeter at a ground junction between the two batteries and run all grounds downstream of the ammeter. That way if your amp is at full draw and your batteries are supplementing current you still get an accurate reading. This will also allow you to run dual alternators if you choose to do so in the future. If all you care about is alternator output then you can connect it to your battery charge lead.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, and I would get a meter that reads more than rated output for the system. For 200A, I would get one that reads up to 225A or 250A.

ME TOO 2

Reaction score
For me, I would want to know total amperage of the system is, so if you only have one alternator, but 2 batteries, I would connect the ammeter at a ground junction between the two batteries and run all grounds downstream of the ammeter. That way if your amp is at full draw and your batteries are supplementing current you still get an accurate reading. This will also allow you to run dual alternators if you choose to do so in the future. If all you care about is alternator output then you can connect it to your battery charge lead.

Than

Like this?
See attached file

and thank ou, once again, RawbDidit

Attachments

• Ammeter wiring.pdf
    99.8 KB · Views: 2

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your drawing shows 2 batteries in series, that would double your voltage, wouldn't it? I was under the impression dual batteries are only installed in parallel meaning it should look more like the drawing I posted below. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but it should be just like jump starting a car, positive to positive, negative to negative.
You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I'm usually all for working with the grounds rather than the positive for things like this however that drawing above would burn up the ammeter the first time he tries to start the truck.

Pick a section that you want to observe with the ammeter and hook it up inline with the positive wires in series so the current has to go through the gauge. Generally if you want full vehicle amp current you should hook it up between the alternator and the battery. NOT the big battery cable going to the starter, just the little one coming out of the alternator.

To add to this, you can also hook it up to things that draw current to monitor how much juice they are sucking down.

ME TOO 2

Reaction score

CORRECTED DRAWING ATTACHED

This time in parallel without the dead short to ground.

Attachments

• Ammeter wiring corrected.pdf
    33.7 KB · Views: 5

ME TOO 2

Reaction score
Your drawing shows 2 batteries in series, that would double your voltage, wouldn't it? I was under the impression dual batteries are only installed in parallel meaning it should look more like the drawing I posted below. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but it should be just like jump starting a car, positive to positive, negative to negative.

You must be registered for see images attach

You are correct.
I drew a series plus a dead short.
New drawing posted
Thank you for noticing

ME TOO 2

Reaction score
I'm usually all for working with the grounds rather than the positive for things like this however that drawing above would burn up the ammeter the first time he tries to start the truck.

Pick a section that you want to observe with the ammeter and hook it up inline with the positive wires in series so the current has to go through the gauge. Generally if you want full vehicle amp current you should hook it up between the alternator and the battery. NOT the big battery cable going to the starter, just the little one coming out of the alternator.

To add to this, you can also hook it up to things that draw current to monitor how much juice they are sucking down.
Thanks RichLo
I too caught the error and re-posted a corrected drawing