Am I that retarded? 87 octane in a 91 tune, WOT pulls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
So as the subject states...
Finally got all my exhaust done last night, and installed my new PCM from BB. I wasn't thinking about the gas in the tank (obviously I know I need to run 91), and took it out for a spin with a few WOT pulls to 70~ MPH.
I couldn't audibly tell it was pinging (exhaust is loud as ****), but I am wondering how much dmg I just did/could have done?

I'm going to baby it over the the pump today, fill it with 91, and then also put some octane booster in it (to get it above the 87 degrade).

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You more than likely didn't cause any damage. If you did then it would be pretty obvious such as a burnt valve or a melted piston.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is a yes, but did you actually ask them to change the tune for a higher octane fuel? If you didn't they may not have. They actually recommended that I tune my red truck for 89 as the 91 wouldn't really make any difference, but I requested 91 because it's the only grade of ethanol free fuel I have easy access to.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I did request a 91 octane tune; I've actually emailed them to confirm the settings I requested as my speedo still isn't accurate after specifying my tire size. According to GPS, my speedo is over by 4 mph.
The truck actually is running smoother after have the crank relearn done, although I can hear valve chatter here and there, but I think its due to being low on oil.
The truck is going to sit until I can get a new air filter, the oil changed, and give it a full tank of 91 octane gas.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right on, I wouldn't worry about the short run on 87. Also wouldn't worry about the 4mph difference on the speedo vs GPS, these truck clusters aren't exactly scientific instruments. If it's within 5mph I'd say you're doing great.

Crank relearn though... Mine didn't actually need one and I've read other people confirm that theirs didn't either. Don't think they're necessary at all on the black box PCMS. Are you sure you're not talking about a security relearn since your truck is 98+ and has the passlock system?

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I had to do the security relearn as well, but yes, I am sure about the crank variation relearn. I have the torque app and a bluetooth obdII scanner, and I got a p1336 code immediately after doing the security relearn. For the most part, the truck ran fine with the code, but I did notice a slight miss. When I took it to the shop, I could hear the miss as they were doing the acceleration to 5150 rpm. Then crank relearn was done, and he ran it through the rpms again and it sounded smoother.

I don't think it was necessary, but I wanted my truck to be able to detect misfires, which the crank variation relearn is needed to do in order to be able too.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it was necessary, but I wanted my truck to be able to detect misfires, which the crank variation relearn is needed to do in order to be able too.

Well if you got a code and a CEL then it was definitely necessary. Obviously it's not for all of these trucks though, as mine never threw a code at all when I switched PCMs. My mechanic attempted the CASE relearn anyway at my request, many times with two different scan tools. (One of which was a GM Tech 2) Failed every time, don't remember what the message was exactly. Other people have posted here saying they didn't need the CASE relearn either so I guess it varies from truck to truck.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I think it just depends on if the factory settings on the new pcm you received were close to your pcm's default settings - but yeah, I read that post actually and was hoping that would be the case for me too, lol.
Soon as I can get some gas in her, and a oil change, I'll post sound/review vid of the full exhaust + BB tune. The route I went ended up being a near perfect bolt in setup (and the easiest header install ever), for around 700$ total (Mid Pipe Headers, Matching Y Pipe, Mandrel Bent Tailpipe and Down pipe, 4' straight pipe, muffler, and tip), and no additional bends or fabbing was needed.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your OEM PCM is programmed to retard timing when knock is present. I highly dough that BB would disable that important safety feature in his calibrations.

You probably experienced some knock early in your runs but the PCM pulled timing to protect the engine once knock was detected.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Your OEM PCM is programmed to retard timing when knock is present. I highly dough that BB would disable that important safety feature in his calibrations.

You probably experienced some knock early in your runs but the PCM pulled timing to protect the engine once knock was detected.

I think the issue is that it can't detect knock while the p1336 code is active, which it was when I did the pulls (before I did the relearn, and realized the error of my ways (read stupidity)). Correct me if I am wrong, as I would gladly be wrong, lol.