Aluminum driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna venture a guess as in he means the factory aluminum shaft with that black cover on them..........

Sarcasm! I love it.

I would say. Mine just looks like plastic. Maybe his is for racing?

Sent from ®obland!

^^^^ come on guys.. Easy on the guy! Lol. Didn't realise they had one that's aluminum! I wonder if NBS shafts could fit? No one makes one...

Where'd you get that from?

~Via Mobile

Actually, I wasn't trying to be a smart-a**. I like carbon fiber.
IIRC the C/F ones are aluminum with a wrap.
Straight C/f has a finite life-span when exposed to a constant barrage of sand, rocks gravel, etc. Every little chip or ding weakens the structural integrity. This is why C/F MTB frames are used in competition for no more than 1 or 2 seasons. They're strong, (& light) & then suddenly...they're not! It's like they implode! They usually fail on the down tube, just behind the front wheel that is throwing rocks constantly against that area.

Its not plastic or anything. Its a known fact that GMT400s were built with carbon fiber wrapped driveshafts which were very strong an light.

GM started doing this on the 3gen camaros in the 80s an brought it over to the 400s when they came out.

I'm a member over at the 67-72chevy trucks forum also an theirs a guy there by the name of keith seymor who is a GM development engineer whos worked there since '79 an was one of the leading engineers in the development of the 400s, 800s an now the next generation of the replacement trucks after this new 2014models go out of style. He's mentioned it quite a bit about some of the stuff they did on the 400s such as the carbon fiber wrapped driveshafts.

I Should see about inviting him over to this site an tell us more about these trucks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Its not plastic or anything. Its a known fact that GMT400s were built with carbon fiber wrapped driveshafts which were very strong an light.

GM started doing this on the 3gen camaros in the 80s an brought it over to the 400s when they came out.

I'm a member over at the 67-72chevy trucks forum also an theirs a guy there by the name of keith seymor who is a GM development engineer whos worked there since '79 an was one of the leading engineers in the development of the 400s, 800s an now the next generation of the replacement trucks after this new 2014models go out of style. He's mentioned it quite a bit about some of the stuff they did on the 400s such as the carbon fiber wrapped driveshafts.

I Should see about inviting him over to this site an tell us more about these trucks.

What the guys were referring to is that there are some aluminum driveshafts that have a black plastic sheath over them.

Aluminum tube is very susceptible to weakness when dented or deeply scratched. The sleeve is a bit of cheap insurance against stone damage.

I've yet to see a CF wrapped aluminum driveshaft on a gmt400, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Aluminum was primarily used to reduce weight in both GVWR and rotating mass for fuel economy, not strength.

:)

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score

And my name is Alan General. My family owns General Motors.

~Via Mobile

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
The aluminum drive shafts used in these trucks are a Spicer Graph Lite™ unit produced by Dana. There is no carbon fiber in them. They are wrapped in a mixture of graphite and fiberglass.

~Via Mobile

Last edited:

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Ill have to look for one of these. I found out today that a shop in town here makes them, so I may take that route.