1997 GMC K1500 Z71 Front Drive Shaft orientation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aj_08

Reaction score
Hello,

Vehicle: 1997 GMC K1500 Z71

Does the front driveshaft have a certain orientation to be properly installed? It is telescoping, does the telescoping end go near the front of the vehicle near the front differential or does it go to the rear side near the transfer case?

Also, does "phasing" matter when installing?

Thanks for the help.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I could post links but I am lazy. There is many videos referencing what you ask about, at you tube.

aj_08

Reaction score
For anyone curious or would like to fact check, it appears in a youtube video by Suburban Ranch - "removing the front differential from an 88-98 obs chevy 1500", the telescoping end is near the front differential. Seems consistent with another youtube video by "Board in a Barn" - "97 chevy front driveshaft install." Hope this helps someone, and if inaccurate, please reply.

Bennie

Reaction score
Hello,

Vehicle: 1997 GMC K1500 Z71

Does the front driveshaft have a certain orientation to be properly installed? It is telescoping, does the telescoping end go near the front of the vehicle near the front differential or does it go to the rear side near the transfer case?

Also, does "phasing" matter when installing?

Thanks for the help.
Just had transmission rebuilt and the rebuilder took driveshaft out because of bad u-joints so i decided do the work myself ie: Replace driveshaft and u-joints but forgot to find out the position.
so i decided to research and found some low mile pics of driveshafts which show telescoping toward the rear of which i cant upload wrong extension . search through bring a trailer not really hard to find

Last edited:

aj_08

Reaction score
Strange. YouTube vids mentioned above show the opposite, telescoping end towards the front.