Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, but I likie. Good price too.

outlawten5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need an alternator too now that I got my junk running. Has a warning to use 4gauge wire with a fuse to properly charge the battery.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im sure with 220 amps, it would fry the puny OE wireing. Time for the big 3, 4, or 5 upgrade.

outlawten5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was intending to remake the battery leads anyhow. From what I've read grounds can be an issue on these trucks. I like to run a ground to starter mounting bolt. Totally cures hot start/slow crank issues on old Chevys.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I looked at the big 3 upgrade last year. I ended up adding 2 more grounds. I used #2 welding wire. Being a welder, it was easy for me to get. So I have 1positive wire added to the alt with a large 150 amp bladed fuse running back to the battrery. 1 gouund wire from the alt case, back to the battery. Then 3 added new grounds. 1 to the engine block, 1to the frame, and 1to the cab of the truck. All of these wires are #2 welding lead, with crimped ends.

You must be registered for see images attach

outlawten5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked at the big 3 upgrade last year. I ended up adding 2 more grounds. I used #2 welding wire. Being a welder, it was easy for me to get. So I have 1positive wire added to the alt with a large 150 amp bladed fuse running back to the battrery. 1 gouund wire from the alt case, back to the battery. Then 3 added new grounds. 1 to the engine block, 1to the frame, and 1to the cab of the truck. All of these wires are #2 welding lead, with crimped ends.

Nice. Did you notice any difference? My battery has top and side mounts so I might just use the top mounts as well for my extra leads.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice. Did you notice any difference? My battery has top and side mounts so I might just use the top mounts as well for my extra leads.
Yes my wipers speed up, LOL. I did am E-fam swap a few months ago. Without the big 5 upgrade, the alt would never keep up. Also my 680 watt Pioneer amp, does better. Its cooler, and doesnt clip out any more. It never cliped out bad
but every now and then ot did. I got my fuse holders , and most of the connectors from an automotive audio shop 1 block from my work. Im sure you can order them online. I did run short of connectors so I ended up making a few from a copper tubing I had laying around. As for the battery post connectors. I used 2 3/8 bolts and welded the heads together. If you look at the pic of the battery you can see what I did.

outlawten5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found some blade fuses on Amazon. $13.00 for two. I can get the cable and terminals from a local marine supply store. Hoping they have a crimper. If not I'll solder them with a torch.