Alternator question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob

Reaction score
my alternator is starting to get flaky at idle so I am needing to replace it. It is the 105 amp version. I want to go to the 120 amp version (or a beefed up 120amp) but all the pictures I see of them the 105 and 120 have the mounting holes in different locations. I.e. The 105 the mounting bolts are at 8 and 4 but the 120 are at 3 and 9. Is this just the pictures or are the accessory brackets different? I know on the 96+ trucks you can go up easily but what about the 95 and older? My alternator is on the drivers side.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
If the mounts will fit where the OEM goes and the connections are the same and can safely be reached along with the correct size pulley then it should work fine. If any of the above mentioned items are different or the wires cannot be safely attached/detached then do not try it.

Why do you need to go up just a mere 15 amps?

Also some alternator/starter rebuild shops can upgrade your current alternator for not much more than the normal rebuild.

Jacob

Reaction score
Why do you need to go up just a mere 15 amps?

Also some alternator/starter rebuild shops can upgrade your current alternator for not much more than the normal rebuild.

Because there seams to be more higher amp versions of the 120 amp alternator than the 105 amp one. I want to keep the setup stockish for ease of repair if I am on the road.

We don't have any rebuild shops around here locally and the parts just to rebuild the old one cost as half as much as a new alternator. I would love to be able to find the parts to upgrade the original alternator myself though.

What model is the 105 amp alternator?

Last edited:

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't know your price range but maybe look at db electrical on e bay. Some members have them and I believe you just need an inch longer belt for larger capacities.

Jacob

Reaction score
I have looked around some and might go with an upgraded 105 amp size alternator. I haven't decided yet but it looks like I am going to spend over 200 either way.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score