Cs130 alt to ad244 swap tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I found a pretty old thread by imscrewed92 on blazer forum.com

The pictures of the mounting brackets looked exactly the same as ours so I thought I would try it out.

So I had a replacement alternator from autozone, Duralast gold, 105 amp for the last 8 years replacing it about every 3 years. Well with the Taurus fan and stereo upgrades my volt meter would be at about 11 at idle.

So I took this alternator back to autozone and asked if I could upgrade to a different year truck, they agreed so I got the duralast gold from a 2000 Chevy silverado which is a 145 amp and much bigger. Paid the $20 difference and came home.

All I needed to do to install it was order the new pigtail for the ad244 which I got from eBay but any NAPA has it and wire just the "L" wire, 1-3"X3/8" grade 8 bolt nut and lock washer and drill/elongate one mounting hole. Here are the pics

130 vs 244 courtesy of imscrewed92
You must be registered for see images attach

Old pigtail

Pigtail

You can see the small bit you have to remove to fit the bolt

Removed the small amount of material with 3/8" drill bit

Installed

Before and after

Don't mind the other grade 8 bolt the stock one worked fine, this one is for my EDC bracket

Results are that this alternator is great at idle! Ac on lights on stereo playing gauge stays steady at 13 volts!!! Great buy and you can find high output ad244's easier if you need more power!

Last edited:

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Getting ready to do this to my 1995 Burb 5.7, already have a 145A AD244 from a 2004 Tahoe.

I've read that some people have to install a resistor in the replacement harness to get the alternator to work properly. Any resistor needed on anyone here's install? I think it may only be for older vehicles.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Did this swap this past weekend, easy as pie. Soldered in a new harness to the L wire, ran the blue sense wire to the output, then replaced all my power and ground cables with 2/0 welding cable. Used the beltr for a factory installed HO alternator, 5060968. Ran both heaters on high with the headlights on, 80amps draw @ 14.5vDC @ idle. Sweet.

qukon 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the 135 amp ad244 i want to get one from a 2007 it's 160 amps ad244r but the 135 alt is handling the EFAN,AC and blower on high with
know problems.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
need a bigger belt. Some people say they managed to get the stock belt on, but they will likely have bearing failure from the belt being too tight.