Alternator plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't understand why people mess around with "high amp" cs144s just upgrade to a more modern ad244. It's cheaper and outperforms the older models in every way.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don't understand why people mess around with "high amp" cs144s just upgrade to a more modern ad244. It's cheaper and outperforms the older models in every way.

Don't the AD244s need to be modified in some way... or the bracket? The CS144s should drop right in since our trucks could be had with either the CS144 or the CS130D from the factory. I have the CS144 in my truck, and the original in reserve.... I removed it years ago when I thought the bearings were bad. It ended up being the idler pulley :-/

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't the AD244s need to be modified in some way... or the bracket? The CS144s should drop right in since our trucks could be had with either the CS144 or the CS130D from the factory. I have the CS144 in my truck, and the original in reserve.... I removed it years ago when I thought the bearings were bad. It ended up being the idler pulley :-/
Depends. I put an AD244 in mine and it worked fine. The TBI had the alternator in a different location and used a different bracket. I believe you're correct in respect to the TBI, but an AD244 should bolt right in on a vortec.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No mods to the ad244.

This applies to the TBI trucks. I think the vortecs are even easier:

A new pigtail is needed for the older trucks with the rectangle plug like my 94 but it's just 2 wires.

The bracket requires very minimal modificaton. The hole closest to the centerline of the truck needs to be elongated, and a longer bolt is required. Thats it. Took me a few minutes in the dark on a worknight (I use this truck to commute to work) and I am a dummy. Anyone can do it.

The next hurdle is the belt. I put a (smaller) overdrive pulley on my truck and the stock belt worked fine. Alternative is a longer belt. Overdrive pulley was like $20 online and a quality belt is about the same from amazon.

With my big-3 and my ad244 my electrical system is way overkill since this truck is stock with original stereo, manual seats, windows, and doors, but the cost was roughly the same as putting a stock replacement alternator on which was needed anyways.

Last edited:

RoJo2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I’m not sure where your getting your AD244 but I didn’t find one cheaper or even close when I was looking. I picked up my brand new direct replacement AC Delco CS144 for $110 plus an $8 plug. So upgraded with brand new parts for $118 all in... That’s why I messed around with the CS144.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The AD244 is nice, but I have a bunch of CS144s from H body cars that I've pulled over the years during our local junkyard's Harvest Day ($40 for anything that fits in a wheelbarrow) and may never need to buy one again. Newer trucks are showing in the yard from time to time and when I find one I intend to upgrade.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The bracket requires very minimal modificaton. The hole closest to the centerline of the truck needs to be elongated, and a longer bolt is required.

It's still a modification and not a drop in. I'd rather not start elongating holes.