alternator going out????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reptilla

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes but super low buget ...no amp and stock speakers

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
ha my alternator went out before my battery did and the funny thing was, i was across town from my apartment and i noticed the system wasnt charging, so i had to make it all the way across town on the electricity that the battery already had and the further i drove the more the battery would drain, luckly i made it home just in time before the truck died, it was an epic race against time lol

Johnbalderas90k1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
test voltage coming off the battery terminal on the back of the alternator it should be between 13-15 volts. if its not within that range than your voltage regulator is probably bad. it regulates voltage produced by the alternator. if they go bad your voltage could get really high or be low. when your test it hit the throttle and see how much the voltage increases. it can get to the point where it will increase several volts with rpm increase.

reptilla

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so replaced the alternater and the battery,and still the gauge go's back and forth from 10v to 14v. I used a volt meter while the gauge was at its lowest and the meter read 14.09 at the battery and 14.30 at the alternater. So is the gauge bad or what?????

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
ahhh pull out your gauge cluster and check all your ribbons and connectors going to your volt gauge and make sure theyre all good, i had that problem with my temp gauge. i just had to bend a connector bad and back to normal

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Do the Burbs have 2 positive leads going to the battery? I cant remember. If so then take the 2 leads off the battery and separate them to check for corrosion in between. I have seen this very problem with cars that have double positive leads. It will even prevent them from starting. Just my 2 cents.

Cant really think of anything else other than checking all the grounds. There is one on the firewall that will prevent it from starting.