alignment advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smitty1

Reaction score
99 two door, all original, 112k on the clock, nice clean ride. Bought from original owner, nc truck great shape. I have been turning wrenches for many years, hot rods, race cars, etc. present issue I would like some advice on, I replaced ALL front end steering components, 4 new shocks, all new control arm and rear spring bushings, sway bar links, rag joint, all moog parts. Also did the "knock outs" while I was under there, took to front end shop (used them many times bfor, know them well) when finished they could only get "0" caster total, Im lost, with everything replaced, my thoughts are it should be easy to get it perfect, they spent a good while, but that's the best they could do? Ive known these guys for years, were all at a loss, any ideas, thoughts, explanations? thanks, and this is a great site !

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wish I could help. I too recently did a Front end rebuild, ball joints tie rod ends etc etc...

I turned up my torsion bars less then 2" and my usual alignment shop who I've used in the past could not get it perfect. Can't remember if it was cast or camber.

I hope someone has some advice on this

smitty1

Reaction score
Wish I could help. I too recently did a Front end rebuild, ball joints tie rod ends etc etc...

I turned up my torsion bars less then 2" and my usual alignment shop who I've used in the past could not get it perfect. Can't remember if it was cast or camber.

I hope someone has some advice on this

thanks Jorge, its got me stumped !!

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does it drive? Caster doesn't burn up tires, Camber does. If it drives straight without wandering and the wheel returns from a turn you should be fine.

smitty1

Reaction score
How does it drive? Caster doesn't burn up tires, Camber does. If it drives straight without wandering and the wheel returns from a turn you should be fine.

Wonders a little, more than Id like, just aggravating, can't figure it out

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wandering is caused by lack of caster, the upper ball joint needs to go back to correct it.
Ever notice on a dragster when the turn the wheels lay over? that is lots of camber as they are made to go straight and they are so light up front that it is easy to steer. If you put that much caster into a heavier front end it would be harder to turn the wheels as you are almost raising the front end when turning the wheels. Same as an extreme chopper it take a lot of effort to turn them.

smitty1

Reaction score
Wandering is caused by lack of caster, the upper ball joint needs to go back to correct it.
Ever notice on a dragster when the turn the wheels lay over? that is lots of camber as they are made to go straight and they are so light up front that it is easy to steer. If you put that much caster into a heavier front end it would be harder to turn the wheels as you are almost raising the front end when turning the wheels. Same as an extreme chopper it take a lot of effort to turn them.

exactly, I am wanting about 3 degrees caster, but not there yet

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you replace upper and lower arms?

Have you considered extra offset cam bolts. Rockauto sells them. Moog is one maker of them.

Not to knock your alignment guy but if they are spoiled by a computer alignment rack maybe they didn't go the extra thought to get it in. I know the Hunter I use at work is over simple and it will let you not get it right if you run out of cam on one of the bolts. And it compensates for rake also and I know one guy who doesn't take enough time to figure that in.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score