Ain't nothing simple.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changed my oil yesterday and saw the rt. cv axle was slinging grease.
Went to NAPA and got a reman axle, the famous 5 gal. blue bucket and 2 cans of cleaner for the mess and 20% discount.
When I took the axle out there was a "dust cover"(?) I guess,it covered the rubber seals on the backside of the steering knuckle where the axle spline comes through. It was snugly on the "boob" where the spline shaft gets big and the outer boot fits.
I carefully, finally got the s.o.b off without
f'ing it up too bad. Had to straighten it a little bit, not much. I put it back on at the seals on the backside of the knuckle, put new axle in. First pix

When I got to snugging the big nut before I torqued it and tried to turn the axle it was too hard to turn.
So I knew something was funky about it.
Went ahead and got a new hub today, pulled old one off and you can see where it's been hot where that whatever it is has been stationary on the axle and spinning on the seals. Second pix

The two hubs are a little different on the backside. The old one has the seal on it,new one doesn't. Third and fourth pix

The axle on the driver's side turns freely at whatever is on there that covers the bearing on the backside of the knuckle.

The suspicious dust cover fits and covers the original bearing. Fifth pix
But when you tighten the big nut it turns to ****. Actually won't hardly turn.

As it is now,if I leave the dust cover off the seal and bearing will be exposed somewhat.

Anybody else had the good fortune to see this? There's a little difference in the shape of the old and new boobs if you look close where they neck down to the spline but the diameter is the same. The dust cover will slide firmly on both of them. Sorry this **** got so long.

You must be registered for see images attach

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured out I need the inner seal on the steering knuckle. Napa doesn't offer one, obsolete at Chevy dealer. Advance has one made by National but not in stock. Just got off the phone with o'reilly's in Mableton. They have it. Otw to get it.
Y'all know where Mableton is?
Word up,boys and girls.

eric_ss

Reaction score
I know this is old but do you happen to have the part number of this seal? I’m redoing all of the suspension and steering on my 97 2 door Tahoe 4x4 and can’t find these seals to save my life. The ones that attach to the inside of the knuckle that have an I.D. Of about 3.1” and and O.D. Of about 3.8” at the flange. Thanks.