Aftermarket Engine Parts... Are they worth it? Not in my opinion.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had my truck for just under a year now and so far, I've had to put a lot of money and work into it to keep it running. I'll be the first to admit that I probably looked at the truck with rose colored glasses when I bought it and I'm taking responsibility for what I bought. But if you are thinking about using no name aftermarket parts because they are cheap, please learn from my mistakes.

First off, I love my truck. When its running well, its fun to drive, even being a dually, but the previous owners cheaped out on a lot of stuff that they replaced, mostly right before I bought the truck. I have been fighting low fuel pressure, and in turn lean conditions, rough idle, hard starting, low power, and horrible mileage. I've replaced all of the major engine fuel components with OEM parts including injectors and FPR. While that solved some issues, I was still left with others and it wasn't until I started actually checking fuel pressures, that I figured out the issue. Right before I bought the truck, the P/O's had a bunch of work done including, cap, rotor, spark plugs, and fuel pump. The pump they installed was an Ultra Power E3962M (I have the receipt from the shop that installed it last January). After less than a year and maybe 5000 miles, the pump is only putting out about 24 PSI of fuel pressure. I've checked it with multiple gauges. The FPR was replaced with OEM and fuel doesn't leak anywhere externally. Using the proper GM tool I was able to diagnose the fact that the pump couldn't even build enough pressure in the rail to open the regulator and fill the return line with fuel. I removed the fuel filter, following GM protocol, to get a direct pressure reading from the pump and the fuel line proceeded to pour fuel at a steady rate. Meaning that something in that pump was allowing fuel to siphon out of the tank. It was a crappy situation to say the least.

I used to think that all that crap was the same, but I'm tired of replacing cheap parts. For those people who are looking to replace parts with the cheapest thing they can, and if these parts keep your engine running, consider buying the real stuff.

I now have to install a new OEM pump to finish the diagnostics. If there is blockage in the lines or elsewhere, that means I'll be pulling the intake manifold as well. I've heard a lot of guys have troubles, especially with after market fuel pumps that they either don't hold up well to ethanol, or the internal lines will come apart or break, and I'm guessing that's where my issue lies, but I'll know more this weekend when I get the old pump out.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh and if what I just wrote doesn't make a lot of sense, it might be from the fact that I inhaled a lot of gas fumes last night and I'm probably still coming down...

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I only use AC Delco/top of the line aftermarket components on my truck;
Hell when I bought it, the first big ticket maintenance I had done was replacing the injectors, (FiveO Motorsports), FPR (Delphi), upper and lower intake gaskets (FelPro), a coolant flush and a new thermostat (AC Delco), Even stuff like fluids and filters, I just started running Amsoil 10W30 in my truck and I can already tell a difference; and big Wix filters keep everything cleaned up too.
I prefer to shell out a little extra to keep my truck in good shape, I learned from my old Suburban that cheap parts are a crap shoot like you said.

I've had good luck with some stuff like Borg Warner (BWD) components, but if I can swing brand name parts I try to go that route.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The sad thing is that all the parts you think are "OEM" are being made in the same places by the same people as the other brand junk; especially AC Delco outsourced so much to China it's not even close to funny. They saved tons of money on manufacturing but the crap still costs us the same (or more.)

Still, your best bet for many parts is OEM because you would hope they at least are holding the suppliers to a higher standard if not in quality of materials or design, at least in quality control. Or somewhere in the mix you're getting a somewhat better chance of a usable part vs. a white box wonder.

Richard

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The sad thing is that all the parts you think are "OEM" are being made in the same places by the same people as the other brand junk; especially AC Delco

I do have an AC Delco Thermostat that I'm going to install that has Motorad stamped on the side and is made in Israel.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still, your best bet for many parts is OEM because you would hope they at least are holding the suppliers to a higher standard if not in quality of materials or design, at least in quality control. Or somewhere in the mix you're getting a somewhat better chance of a usable part vs. a white box wonder.

This is exactly why I buy primarily ACDelco parts even though a lot of them are made in China these days. Quality control. Chinese products aren't inherently bad, but they certainly can be when a company contracts the lowest bidder to make something. Similar situation to how all the eBay headlights and tail lights are made in the same Chinese factories as Spyder and Anzo products, but you tend to hear about less people having issues with Anzo and Spyder than their no-name eBay counterparts.

I do have an AC Delco Thermostat that I'm going to install that has Motorad stamped on the side and is made in Israel.

If I recall correctly those are the "Professional" line of ACDelco thermostats. Just FYI, I haven't heard many good things about them. ACDelco 131-121 appears to be the good one for your Vortec 454.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
The sad thing is that all the parts you think are "OEM" are being made in the same places by the same people as the other brand junk; especially AC Delco outsourced so much to China it's not even close to funny. They saved tons of money on manufacturing but the crap still costs us the same (or more.)

Richard

I thought AC Delco was made in Mexico? I think there's like, 3 or 4 plants down south of the border that produce the same stuff, just different quality grade.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought AC Delco was made in Mexico? I think there's like, 3 or 4 plants down south of the border that produce the same stuff, just different quality grade.

Their suppliers make stuff alllllll over the place, it varies from part to part. Lots of it does come from China these days.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve heard that Delco’s “Advantage” line is pretty much the bottom of the barrel—made by whichever manufacturer returned the lowest bid.

In theory, their “Professional” and GM dealer parts would be better choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk