Adventures of my 'budget' Color-match grille (Lots of pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snotrocket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the grill looks nice. I did the same color match job on my Tahoe but I started with a black grill instead of the chrome one.

Did you hit it with some clear coat? That might make it last a little longer.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
I think the grill looks nice. I did the same color match job on my Tahoe but I started with a black grill instead of the chrome one.

Did you hit it with some clear coat? That might make it last a little longer.

Thanks man :) and Ofcouse!!! I put on 2 coats. i think i forgot to mention that.

DefendHawaii

Reaction score
Nice job. I did same thing a few days ago on my Tahoe. I ran two coats of primer and adhesive promoter and then did three coats of professional grade white gloss enamel, also did the rear pillars where the cargo doors are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
My headlights are NOT painted black. I tinted them with VHT nightshade. I put a small coat on at first but then procceded to get carried away after it looked strange with such a light coat. I hate it. I did it because I thought the light would shine through and it barely does. Im going to get a set of the black light housings just like the ones Half Assed posted.

Lmaooo that's what happened with my taillights. I was wondering why it wasn't very dark while i was spraying, so i sprayed more, then BAM, when they dried, pitch black. The good thing is, they still shine bright, even during the day. Haven't been bothered by anyone about them.
You must be registered for see images

(The reverse lights were just taped over).

After i learned my lesson, i sprayed VERY lightly on the headlights. Turned out great. I wanted a little darker, but i had already cleared them.
You must be registered for see images

DefendHawaii

Reaction score
VHT is so much better than the Rustoleum tail light tint stuff though. I have done a lot of light tinting lately and I have learne to use 320 grit paper first then some wet sand and then 3 light coats and 3 light gloss coats.

Last edited:

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
VHT is so much better than the Rustoleum trial tint stuff though. I have done a lot of light tinting lately and I have learne to use 320 grit paper first then some wet sand and then 3 light coats and 3 light gloss coats.

I just sanded with fine paper, cleaned with alcohol, then sprayed, then cleared. Professionals like Deven use a mix of black paint and clear to tint their tails, i think.

DefendHawaii

Reaction score
Yeah I stopped with the paint and using tint film now. My GF n mine both have Infinitis and I did the fog and tail tint again with film instead of spray it just looks a little better to me.

Last edited:

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
I put a small coat on my taillights. But yours look good! im still wanting some clear lenses up front for HID's :)

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when i bought my truck the people that had it sprayed that vts night shade on the front signal lights and reflectors and they also did the tail lights,,,, i hated it,, it took me like two weeks of dealing with it before i changed it,,lol

from this
You must be registered for see images attach

to this

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your truck looks awesome with the painted grill!!,,, now just color match those bumper!!, ,lol