Adding cruise control and remote start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought a nice '97 W/T 1500. It has a 4.3 and auto transmission. I'd like to add factory cruise control and a remote start.

First the cruise - I'm getting the parts from a Pick n Pull junkyard that is 100 miles each way so I'd like to know exactly what I need. There is a connector on the firewall that I'm pretty sure connects to the cruise motor (sorry, don't know the technical name of it) so that part should be easy. I'll get the cruise motor, cable, and bracket on the throttle body. I know I'll need the turn signal stalk. What I'm not sure of is will the cruise turn signal stalk plug into existing wiring/connectors/module under the dash? Is the brake switch already there and wired or do I need to pull a brake switch from the donor truck?

Remote start - can it be as basic as just starting the truck? I have manual locks, so no keyless entry is needed. I have no need for an alarm. I just want to start the truck a few minutes before leaving work so my windows are thawed and motor is warm enough to drive. What would be a good kit? Some type of feedback to indicate the truck is running would be cool, but not necessary. I'd like to avoid a remote fob the size of a phone, so a smallish remote would be a bonus too.

Rollin400s

Reaction score
I'm disappointed no one chimed in on this as I'm in somewhat of the same situation because I want to add cruise to my W/T. If I don't find any quick tips on the internet I'll just rely solely on the wiring diagrams and pulling items at the junk yard. Luckily for me the pick and pull is only 15 minutes away.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I could help but my cruise control went out years ago... btw. They sell an aftermarket cruise control very expensive.. think it's a Dakota digital product. One day i just google it to see what they had for the gmt400

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm disappointed no one chimed in on this as I'm in somewhat of the same situation because I want to add cruise to my W/T. If I don't find any quick tips on the internet I'll just rely solely on the wiring diagrams and pulling items at the junk yard. Luckily for me the pick and pull is only 15 minutes away.

Did you get figured out what you need? On my 97 all I needed was the module on the firewall with the cable to the throttle body and a stalk with switch and wiring harness. All of the wiring was already in the truck and all I had to do was plug in the connectors. The fuse was already in place as well. After the trouble of pulling the turn signal stalk and switch from the junkyard I learned that rock auto sells a new unit for about $35. Certainly worth it to save time from pulling a used one that is nearly worn out.