97 sierra cruise module question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redagain

Reaction score
My cruise module is out...Im sure as you all know...new ones are pricey...I have a 95 burb one laying around...visually looks the same as mine except for cable which is for a 95 tbi...would someone know if its possible to just switch out the throttle cable with mine..Thx much

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I looked into this once, but was more worried about breaking something as I pried into it so never actually succeeded. Ended up using one from a 99 in my 97 lol. Good to know it'll work!

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just for a bit of info. I used a 02 cruise module in my 97 from a 5.3 swap. Plugged right in and works the same. They didnt change it much over the years

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I don't know about cable lengths but given that the cable can be swapped, I know for a fact that the 98-05 S-Series trucks and SUVs use the same module as well. Probably the earlier models as well.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Sure! Working with the 96+ is much simpler to do so of course, but you'll need the VSS signal from the PCM (or VSS module), you'll have to run an ignition power wire and a ground wire, there's three wires from the switch stalk to the module, and then for a manual, one of the clutch switches and the brake switch (auto is just two lines from the brake switch), and that's pretty much it, unless the throttle body doesn't have the receiver for the cable, in which case you'll need that... But the computer shouldn't need tuning and it SHOULD just work.

There is a cruise status output wire that runs from the cruise module to the PCM as well, but it's not required.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Sure! Working with the 96+ is much simpler to do so of course, but you'll need the VSS signal from the PCM (or VSS module), you'll have to run an ignition power wire and a ground wire, there's three wires from the switch stalk to the module, and then for a manual, one of the clutch switches and the brake switch (auto is just two lines from the brake switch), and that's pretty much it, unless the throttle body doesn't have the receiver for the cable, in which case you'll need that... But the computer shouldn't need tuning and it SHOULD just work.

There is a cruise status output wire that runs from the cruise module to the PCM as well, but it's not required.
Definitely something to think about

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Oh, I did forget this part... 95+ you'd have to replace the entire multifunction switch since they decided to combine everything into one unit. Older ones you only have to replace the stalk.