adding bluetooth to the factory radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't want to get a single or double din aftermarket unit because i think they look too out of place.
I want to keep the factory unit but don't wanna spend big money on one of these https://ebay.to/2YDe1uH
Anyone know how to add bluetooth to the factory unit? thanks.

Last edited:

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have one of those going through an aux cassette tape but it sounds bad.

Last edited:

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I also really like the stock radio. '96 tape deck radio here.
I modified the wiring cable inside the radio so that either an aux jack with blue tooth receiver, or or the FM tuner board inside the radio can be switched to feed the amp board. The schematic for mine is below and link to two videos of someone showing how to do it. The switch is a double pole double throw (DPDT). I off mounted my switch and aux jack to the cover containing the cargo light switch.

The way it works is with the switch in one position the tuner left and right feeds the amp, with the switch in the other position the aux jack feeds the amp. So I can switch between the radio and the BT.

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also really like the stock radio. '96 tape deck radio here.
I modified the wiring cable inside the radio so that either an aux jack with blue tooth receiver, or or the FM tuner board inside the radio can be switched to feed the amp board. The schematic for mine is below and link to two videos of someone showing how to do it. The switch is a double pole double throw (DPDT). I off mounted my switch and aux jack to the cover containing the cargo light switch.

The way it works is with the switch in one position the tuner left and right feeds the amp, with the switch in the other position the aux jack feeds the amp. So I can switch between the radio and the BT.

You must be registered for see images attach

Do you have the slave CD player as well? Doubt i'll use mine, and my dad had that as a little cubby/pocket in his 2500 cheyenne which seemed to be a good spot to put a phone or other objects.

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now i'm wondering if I can use the am/fm button to switch input, cause i don't use am radio.

delta_p

Reaction score
My radio only has the tape deck, no separate CD player. I don't have any CD capability unless I were to plug a portable into the aux jack.

I believe the switch needs to be a DPDT so that you can have two device input and one output from the switch. Or you can do like the videos did, and use an switching aux jack. So that with nothing in the jack is one device and plugging into the jack makes the switch to the other.

delta_p

Reaction score
BTW, there are many other ways to jump an aux into these radio's. you can search this site. This way was the cleanest for me, while the others seemed to be the multiwire method, extra junk yard cables for tape deck units, and things like that. it just seemed easy to interrupt the amp feed.

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BTW, there are many other ways to jump an aux into these radio's. you can search this site. This way was the cleanest for me, while the others seemed to be the multiwire method, extra junk yard cables for tape deck units, and things like that. it just seemed easy to interrupt the amp feed.
Alright thanks for the info I'll do some more looking around at my different choices.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not just use a basic FM transmitter-style BT unit? I have one in my other car that cost maybe $15 on Amazon. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and it’s also a USB adapter so win-win. Sounds great and works just fine.

Mike