Adding AUX to 88-94 Stock Stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1C9A8A0

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info planning on doing this mod on my 94 Z71.

Do you know if your mod kill the ilumination on the EQ/cassette player? Want to have it illuminated even though I'm not using it. Well the cassette lights at least I do want to use the eq.
Hey Brother, no it will not affect the cassette whatsoever because you are tying it in tandem with it. Look towards the top of the thread where Lance actually did a cassette tie-in and he goes over it.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi,

First post here...

I want to add an aux input to the stock stereo on my 1994 GMC K2500, but I'd like to use a switching jack so I don't need a toggle switch (ie, I want to go to aux mode when I plug into the jack, and back to radio when unplugged).

Trouble is, I'm unable to find such a jack, so if anyone has any leads on one, let me know!

c

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I know of the jacks that switch audio, but not a jack that actuates a secondary switch... I'll search and see if I come up with anything.

Looks like what you'd need is referred to as an "Isolated normally open switching audio jack"

Sourcing one on the other hand, I'm having trouble but that's probably because I'm on my phone lol...

Last edited:

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Yes, I'm looking for one of these.

c

Looking online I’m running into the same roadblocks. You need a 3.5mm jack with an isolated N/O switch. Haven’t found any for sale outright, only a couple available from manufacturers in China but they required purchasing them in quantities of 1000 switches haha.

I’ve ran across a lot of threads with people having the same problem finding one to replace them in laptops and other electronics. It appears that both N/O and N/C switches are used frequently in electronics, but only N/C are readily available individually. I’ll keep looking and post any updates here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll keep looking and post any updates here.
As will I, thank you!

It perplexes me that such a ubiquitous part could be so difficult to find! I have numerous dead and gone PC motherboards and related junk that may have the part I need, so maybe I can cannibalize a jack from one of those?

I'll have to check them out and see. In the meantime, I guess I can simply stick a basic unswitched jack in the deck's harness and then shove my adapter in the tape slot when I want to hear it. It puts needless wear and tear on the mechanism (an important consideration given it's almost 30 years old), but I don't know of any alternative at the moment, save of course for a toggle switch, which I'd like to avoid if possible.

c

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After a break from researching the seemingly unobtainable isolated N/O switched jack, I decided to try again from a slightly different angle:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/361056538302

Has anyone tried one of these, and if so, how well do they work? I'm considering getting one (plus an adapter kit for the weird plug GM uses) as an alternative to hacking into the tape deck (which I'm fairly certain I'll still do at some point for the best possible sound quality).

Also thinking about upgrading the speakers a bit, but I'll save that for another topic after I get my aux input figured out.

c

Reaction score
Hey guys trying to set up this mod but I ran into a little snag. My wire harness is not
Awesome! I actually put mine in yesterday 02/20/2021 and everything works great thanks to you!

I will add a little of my personal insight to what I did and hopefully it helps as well.

I'll start by adding your diagram with the added bluetooth adapter.

I used the Millennia MIL-BTREC and bought it from Crutchfield.

But I also see your JL MBT-RX there as well, both will work just fine.

**Please note** Most of these 12v add on bluetooth receivers I see "do not" have the hands-free cell phone talk options on them.

This was a bummer because I really wanted that feature as well but guess these inexpensive units do not have that feature on them yet.

If anyone is reading this in the future, please let me know if they ever use/find one that does have the additional hands-free option added.

I will probably take mine back out and put that unit in instead.

You must be registered for see images attach

What I did with my set up is I added a single throw 12v switch that has a light in it so I could pick up a ground there, plus it will illuminate when on.

My switch has three contacts/poles on it. 12v+ Line in-----12v+ Load/Line out-----12v- Ground

Battery - Orange goes to the Line side of the Switch making it hot all the time.

Tape-On - I wired in the 12v + of the bluetooth adapter/Dk Blue to the Load side of the switch. - This allows me to turn the bluetooth on or off when I want.

H-GRD - goes to Black/12v - side of the bluetooth adapter. If you have a switch with a ground like I did(because I have a light), it will also tie into the switch there.

On the audio side of things I used female solder-on connectors to plug my RCA's into to make it a lot cleaner look to me.

I had found that the Ground inside the Bluetooth adapter was already bonded together internally so I didn't have to solder a jumper from the female RCA ground jack to the other ground-side jack.

My truck did not come with a tape deck so I had to get creative here as well.

I found that in 95'-98' the Cd decks had the same 9 pin connector with an actual removable wiring harnesses and with this I was able to pick one of these up off of eBay really cheap ($12.99).

The Tape decks for these years are still the same 9 pin black connector.

This is a blessing because you will now own two connector plugs - Have one for spare for the next truck!

Instead of buying a whole tape deck just to rob the harness off of, the connectors are the same as the connector used in 88'-94'

I no longer have any junk yards in my area and old tape decks just to rob a harness off will now cost $50 to $200 bucks.

**Disclaimer** The colors in the wiring harness from 95'-98' are different but you will have to just transpose the colors over like I did.

Sorry these are written on the cardboard box that my bluetooth receiver came in.

Here is the final product

The other switches are for future items - Backup Camera and Led-Strip lights for the Bed at night.

I used a blue light for Bluetooth but do not recommend.

Blue is too piercing at night and too bright, It will shine in your face.

But other than not having hands-free calling...**yet**!

This absolutely works phenomenally and Lance...I bow to you sir!

You are a gentleman and a scholar and their are only a few of us left.

Hey guys trying to set up this mod but I ran into a little snag. I've triednlooking for some diagrams online but no duce.
My wire harness is not the same as the one on the mod pics. Any help on wiring would be appreciated.

In case you guys can't see them clearly from top to bottom.

Blue and black
Black
Grey
Light Blue
Orange
Black (thicker wire i'm thinking chassis ground)
Red
White
Tan

Attachments

• 20211128_174015.jpg
    20211128_174015.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 14

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Hey guys trying to set up this mod but I ran into a little snag. My wire harness is not

Hey guys trying to set up this mod but I ran into a little snag. I've triednlooking for some diagrams online but no duce.
My wire harness is not the same as the one on the mod pics. Any help on wiring would be appreciated.

In case you guys can't see them clearly from top to bottom.

Blue and black
Black
Grey
Light Blue
Orange
Black (thicker wire i'm thinking chassis ground)
Red
White
Tan
I think the diagram is mislabeled because your wires look like the ones I used in the first post. Also, the diagram is upside down compared to your picture. (Tan on top vs tan on bottom.) The Tan, Blue w/ black stripe, skinny black, and grey wires can be removed then you’ll have the wires you need left. Here’s a corrected diagram for your wire colors.

Attachments

• 3D1603DD-77BA-44DA-A8DB-8C1EF43579F2.jpeg
    3D1603DD-77BA-44DA-A8DB-8C1EF43579F2.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 25
  • A755C37B-5462-47CC-A8BA-58E5CD4E56C7.jpeg
    A755C37B-5462-47CC-A8BA-58E5CD4E56C7.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 23