Add a toggle switch to get 2 low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably a strange question on this topic but how difficult would it be to put a rear axle from a 4x4 in a 2wd truck with the cable for the lock? Seems like an easy way to get a locking dif....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bret

Reaction score
Probably a strange question on this topic but how difficult would it be to put a rear axle from a 4x4 in a 2wd truck with the cable for the lock? Seems like an easy way to get a locking dif....

I assume you mean using rear axle as a front axle. Its within the realm of possibility : https://www.powernationtv.com/two-minute-tech/2min-467/convert-a-14-bolt-to-a-steering-axle
Honestly not worth it unless you want a hell of a wheeling rig. You would still have to do a solid axle swap anyway, so you'd be better off using a Dana 44 or 60. I imagine it would be cheaper after you consider the conversion parts and fabrication required.

These axles typically have manual locking hubs too, so to get 2w low, put the T-case in 4 low and just dont lock the hubs.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually meant using rear axle as rear axle for simple switch to locking when needed. If the fabrication wouldn’t be much I’m sure a used stock 4x4 rear axle would be cheaper than installing a locking rear dif in my 2wd

Bret

Reaction score
The rear axles in 4x4 and 2wd are the same generally. The "lock" we are referring too is a keyed slip ring type deal that connects one of the front drive shafts to the gears in the differential. GMT-400 never came with a true locking differential, front or rear, just a G80 that locks when your wheels really get spinning. For a locking rear diff, you need to get the locking gears from an aftermarket vender 2wd or 4x4.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear axles in 4x4 and 2wd are the same generally. The "lock" we are referring too is a keyed slip ring type deal that connects one of the front drive shafts to the gears in the differential. GMT-400 never came with a true locking differential, front or rear, just a G80 that locks when your wheels really get spinning. For a locking rear diff, you need to get the locking gears from an aftermarket vender 2wd or 4x4.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Damn lol was hoping it would be easy.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

The G80 is locking, it's just normally open instead of normally locked like a Detroit is. They only work to about 25 mph.

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the past I have unplugged the front actuator before shifting to 4x4... that will give you 2wd low range... I don’t remember what site, gmfs, fsc, gmt400, pirate, but years ago I read a thread about what wires to cut... I’m sure with a meter and a helper you can figure out the hot or ground and cut it adding a switch to break the circuit