acceptable noise level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
Ok ,,i noticed a slight whine in the rear end of my 88 3/4 ton 14 bolt semi float rear end..it is very slight , you can only hear it with windows rolled up and everything turned off. Is there a certain amout of noise these rear ends make? thanks in advance/

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Mine doesnt make any noise but if its that faint i wouldnt worry about it

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You have 3.73 gears don't you? I'd say its perfectly normal. They seem to be slightly nosier than the other ratios that were offered. I have no clue why. If you have no slack whatsoever in your pinion and your oil is good, no worries.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
I've got 4.10s and mine doesn't make any noise.

One of our old F-150 work trucks had a loud whine coming from the rear end, that was about two years ago and it's still going with no problems. Well, no rear end problems at least.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
thanks for the replies and your time,, i'm gonna pull the cover off this weekend and change the fluid,, i only work 3 miles from home, so i can ease it??,,it does have what looks like fresh silicone on the edge of the cover,,p.o. says he had trans serviced,,cant remember about the differential tho.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
thanks for the replies and your time,, i'm gonna pull the cover off this weekend and change the fluid,, i only work 3 miles from home, so i can ease it around till then,,it does have what looks like fresh silicone on the edge of the cover,,p.o. says he had trans serviced,,cant remember about the differential tho.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
let me know about your gear ratio. I would almost bet they are 3.73s. Every chevy i have heard do this has them. 3.42s and 4.10s seem to be much quieter for some reason.