Ac noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wonslung

Reaction score
You were right. I'm guessing that it's some kind of safety switch. Pressure is too low and it cuts the compressor off?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a cycling switch to cut the compressor when the low pressure side drops below a certain point. It's there to prevent freezing of the system, with the added benefit of preventing the compressor from running if the system is empty or very low on charge.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wonslung

Reaction score
That's what I meant.

It's weird because a few people I talked to told me it was normal for it to cut on and off. Now it's staying on and the ac works a lot better. That's how I expected it to work myself.

I appreciate all the help.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Huh, well that's interesting. What @SAATR said makes sense in regards to the compressors cycling more often in a smaller system. The compressor in my reg. cab definitely cycles more often than the one in my Suburban. They both kick on and off pretty regularly, though.

I have them both pressure tested yearly and they're almost always charged correctly. Occasionally a tiny bit low in the Suburban but I've swapped to hoses instead of hard lines for the rear system, I'm sure that's why. I've actually had my reg. cab's system checked at a dealership once (and once at my independent shop of choice) because I thought my compressor was especially noisy during cycling, they agreed with me that it was loud but saw nothing wrong with it. That was over seven years ago and that same compressor is still running just fine.

wonslung

Reaction score
Mine was cycling at a rhythmic rate. On 5 seconds off 5 seconds. It just seemed wrong to me. Now it's staying on for a long time and is running me out of the car it's so cold.