Ac noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wonslung

Reaction score
i have a feeling this is a stupid question but here goes:

When my ac is on, there is a constant mechanical noise. It's like the compressor is being engaged and disengaged constantly. It seems normal but is there any way to smooth it out? I can feel it in the engine even, every time it happens it effects the idle.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Could be bad Freon level causing the compressor to engage and disengage continuously.

wonslung

Reaction score
Could be bad Freon level causing the compressor to engage and disengage continuously.
The ac works fine. Someone tried to tell me that it's designed that way to prevent the compressor from freezing up.

Either way it basically clicks on for 4 seconds off for 3 or 4 and back on. It does this the entire time the ac is on. It's very rhythmic. I'll try to get a video of it later.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't cycle that often. I would be interested to see the system pressures while it's running. I bet it's low on charge or has a partially restricted orifice tube, causing the suction side to drop too low and kick the compressor out. I would have it looked at.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both of my trucks have always done this, since factory new in '97. My A/C systems are working fine, I'm under the impression that this behavior is normal. At least on the Vortec trucks. The compressors cycle very often, and you can feel the power loss when the clutch engages. Much more so on my V6 truck than the Suburban. Someone just posted a video of normal operation the other day... I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT - Found it already. The video in the first post of this thread. If yours is doing the same thing this one is doing, then don't worry, that's normal.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/a-c-compressor-cycle.34385/

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the Denso/Sanden 4440 for comparison:

http://s252.photobucket.com/user/le...f/VID_20160521_101002115_zpstluzwa7z.mp4.html

It has slightly less displacement and the pulley is a bit larger, so it runs more slowly. Given that, you would expect it to run more frequently at the same idle speed. This is also in a Suburban with front and rear systems, so it has more refrigerant and heat to move. I would expect it cycle more in a smaller system, such as a regular or extended cab truck. All that said, I would expect the HT6 to cycle less frequently if there was good heat exchange in the evaporator and proper charge and flow in the rest of the system. Normal or not, I would have it checked, because a system with a slightly low charge will often cool better than with a correct charge, but doesn't move oil efficiently and can eventually cause compressor failure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wonslung

Reaction score
That's what it was. I bought gauges today. When it was kicking on and off there was a clear drop. I put 2 cans in it and now it's the Arctic in here.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheZ71Project