AC making noise near evaporator core

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see Hartwell is in Texas. Been there many times in a lot of areas, mostly for work up to three weeks at a time. But typically it does not get too cold, but I have seen ice storm hit Dallas area and local TV crew shows up and simply puts camera on tripod on the corner of a busy intersection to video everyone sliding into each other. Funny, as from Omaha, I knew how to drive on those type of roads.
My point is, if you have a typical GM A/C system, the A/C comes on with "Defrost Mode" even with hot air, but dry. Most people did not know the A/C still works during the cold times of the year. Imports brands typically have separate A/C button and does not come on with defrost.
Also, the DOT requires that HVAC systems default to defrost position if it has a failure other than loss of refrigerant. Like blown HVAC fuse, but fan is on different fuse. Springs inside vacuum actuators or electric actuators are driven or pull by spring back to defrost mode, as required...regardless of how they do it.
This does not answer any noise issue, but deserves and explanation. TMI?