AC blows cold but Volume of Air sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright all, I have 97 3500 with 454 cc. Problem here in az it gets stupid hot. My AC blows COLD as could be BUT the sheer amount of air is laughable (Feels like a solid 3 setting from a newer chevy) even on max settings. Blower simply not blowing enough air. It almost to the point where mind as well have the windows down because that will feel better than thinking you'll get cold air... So question is, can I or has anyone put a better/bigger blower on one of these? I need more air coming out of the vents or at least try too get more air to come out.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Problem is, there may be more to it than that. How are your blend doors. Are you loosing air from them? Next, how old is the blower motor? Also what about the resistor? Are you getting all speeds from the fan? I will say this. Ii replaced my resistor, because I only had med speed on the fan. After that, the fan was burning up,so I replaced it as well. Man what a difference. The new OE fan blows a lot harder that my old one did. Its not as hot here as ot is where you live, but it still gets hot, and the humidity is ridiculous. I live in south Louisiana.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Once the usual suspects are ruled out - fan speed problems due to bad switch/harness (the 95-up melt at the switch connection, do be aware you can replace the switch alone if it's bad and not need to replace the entire control head), mode door problems due to linkages popped off or not sliding because the lube is gummed up, or...the dreaded actual broken doors..

Really? IMO the most "usual" suspect is clogged fins on the evaporator core. ALL air in the system must pass through it, regardless of any control settings. Dust gets on it and turns into mud, and then add all the random debris that comes through the fresh air intake, it clogs.

There's write-ups out there about flushing it out. It's a little tricky to truly get to it without a lot of disassembly.

Richard

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Once the usual suspects are ruled out - fan speed problems due to bad switch/harness (the 95-up melt at the switch connection, do be aware you can replace the switch alone if it's bad and not need to replace the entire control head), mode door problems due to linkages popped off or not sliding because the lube is gummed up, or...the dreaded actual broken doors..

Really? IMO the most "usual" suspect is clogged fins on the evaporator core. ALL air in the system must pass through it, regardless of any control settings. Dust gets on it and turns into mud, and then add all the random debris that comes through the fresh air intake, it clogs.

There's write-ups out there about flushing it out. It's a little tricky to truly get to it without a lot of disassembly.

Richard
Yea, your rite. I kind of forgot about cleaning mine some time back. You can get in there by removing the fan. Then remove the OE screen and throw it away. Its going to be to bad to reuse. I just trashed mine and didn't worry about replacing it. If and when the time comes to clean the EVAP core again, I will just repeat the process.

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to check out the evap. However my connecter did melt. Everything works but the connecter for the blower/fan (power connector right behind the glove box) is half there lol.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey if you go into that core to wash and degunk it first thing to do is remove glove box and the rest is a snap. Leave glove box on and it's a trudge.mine looked clean it was deceptive. Instructions are great just that revision .

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can get bad. This one was easily at least 50% clogged and was worst then pic looks. I also replaced all the foam seals but I also had the dash out

Attachments

• 20200509_163559.jpg
    20200509_163559.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 19

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm pulling it completely out like that I think ill wait til winter lol.
You can clean it fairly well with it in truck with coil cleaner. But that pic was from when I pulled dash cause PO busted box from changing heater core. But it gives you an idea how bad they get

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the dust here in AZ I think mine will be caked. Not to mention the wife likes to clutter random stuff at her feet all the time.