ABS DTC C0221

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled a junkyard ABS module apart just to learn about how they function.

The super short version about why rebuild companies don't touch them I because the unit is sealed with a small amount of vacuum.

They have a small packet of desiccant under the black cover, which, by the way, is not able to be removed without completely destroying it. The black plastic is very frangible. It is very stiff, and has a lot of internal reinforcement. The problem is that even after carefully removing as much of the epoxy encapsulation compound as possible, the black cover is still glued to the aluminum case with a substantial amount of encapsulation.

The good news is that the electronic unit is very robust and uses top quality components. The likelihood of broken solder joints is always a possibility, but from what I observed, a lot of care and consideration went into designing and implementing the Kelsey-Hayes ABS module. The problem after all these years is the contamination caused by rusting steel brake lines.

Btw, the main microprocessor used in the 99ABS donor is made by Intel. The chip to the right is so that the ABS can communicate to the ECM, it's a SAE J1850 10.4K VPM compliant chip made by Motorola. Everything else on the board was sourced through top tier U.S. based semiconductor companies. There are also Atmel chips, and Kemet capacitors.

I'll be making a Separate post in axles and brakes about teardown of the ENTIRE ABS module.

If someone were to diagnose and repaire these ABS control modules, they should just count on designing and manufacturing NEW 3D printed covers every time they rip one off.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks for adding that, I was wondering just how you could get into these things without completely destroying the black cap. I’ll be on the lookout for what you post. As these get older and functioning units become hard to find, it’ll probably be more of an issue.