A somewhat unrelated little bit of LED lighting - crazy bright work lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
These are in a floodlight type pattern, so the light is spread out over a large area near the source. Can't wait to see how they do at night; during broad daylight - high noon - it freaking HURTS to look at these. They're advertised as 4,000 lumens each. Will follow-up with a night shot later. Beware; they ain't cheap - $250 a pair! But still way cheaper than a lot of brands at similar or even much lesser output.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Sweet... although I would have also wanted some higher up, although for late night hook ups they are in a great spot. On the flatbed I used to drive we had Trucklite brand round white led's mounted way up high, at night they would light up from tree line to tree line about 400' back from the truck. Added one on the passenger side with a swivel, so it could be pointed in the direction of recovery.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the truck is 100% non-consent tow so there's no wreck hauling, so I don't need work lights for winching, unusual hook-ups, etc. Mostly just need to light up the ground directly behind a lowered boom, as I'm backing up. No light pylon on the truck since there's no light bar, so nowhere to mount 'em up high anyway. :)

Dave - I got them from www.towtruckleds.com - they're white box specials all the way but the quality is nice. He offers a 1 year warranty on them so I figured it was worth the gamble. In that same line there are others which aren't quite so large, but I figured go for the max brightness in this case, and they're not really larger (a bit wider) than the old round incandescents the truck came with.

He seems to only sell good stuff anyway and he's well known in the towing biz (runs a large tow co. including heavies, in IL) so it's not a sketchy operation. He's also a huge Maxxima dealer for anybody looking for that stuff.

Richard

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I thought you gave up "towing" when you got rid of the 3500HD and the "sneaker lifts"?

;)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No sir...I shut down my own towing business/storage lot years ago, because I was literally working myself to death, 24-7, no sleep. I run someone else's truck now. Make more money, way less headache, work less hours, though I do still put in a lot of hours.

When I built the black 3500HD I actually was out of the towing biz altogether; I originally built it as a yard wrecker for my salvage yard - to replace that green crew cab 3500. It did some hauling for my little brother's hot rod shop as well, and then eventually sold to a friend with a towing biz, and I did some running for him as well, then bought it back from him to fix back up...and sell. Gets kinda complicated even trying to remember some of it myself. :gr_grin:

Richard

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Makes sense why you don't have a light bar up top then if you are repo and parking enforcement. Could you post some night output pictures pretty please?

This is the kind of work I used to get:

Called out by the cops at 3:30 am, said they had a vehicle down an embankment... it was -43F that night... I arrived on scene... with no view of the vehicle. Walked down the embankment to find the vehicle about 10 feet from a large concrete culvert and open water.

By the time I took a few pictures and got back up to the top, my headlamp died from the batteries being ice cold, despite being on the defroster vent and HOT when I hopped out of the truck.

Here's a few pictures, we had to go back later after daylight broke with a 45 ton unit to winch the truck out. :D

Where's waldo>?

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

Oh wait... there it is!

[/IMG]

Pictures don't seem to do it justice...

[/IMG]

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The first year I got into towing, I was on police rotation in a very rural area. Got some similar calls to that one - had to hunt for the crash through woods, down embankments, etc. only difference is it never gets that cold here and snow is a rarity (ice isn't though!) :)

Finally had a chance to get some nighttime pics; sometimes gets difficult to find an area around here that is dark enough. Big city, bright lights, ya know.

Pictures unedited other than to resize, and to remove a license plate #. Used several angles due to camera's tendency to auto-adjust the exposure rate. In the 3rd pic notice the shadows of the dumpster on the building nearly a block away.

Needless to say I am pretty happy with how these are performing.

Richard