***Your HID Questions Answered Here.***

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As an ex-DDM user I would recommend you stay far away from their harnesses. They have no weather protection. All the connectors are bare and the relay plugs are not sealed in any way. I had two of their harnesses and they failed due to corrosion within a year. One of which almost caught my truck on fire. Not to mention the wire is small gauge and is no better (if not worse) than the factory wiring.
100% agree, same here. Had one lock on the relay while truck was sitting in storage and it burnt the harness to a crisp. When I popped the relay open to see WTF; it was all corroded from moisture.

As for the actual HIDs themselves I used DDM for quite awhile with decent luck. For the price you pay they aren't bad. But shipping is agonizingly slow, and any warranty stuff will be a pain due to shipping. Took me around two weeks anytime I ordered anything before I saw it on my door step. Overseas shipping is time consuming.
Again same. I only ever had 1 ballast that gave me problems and they replaced it no questions asked; the delay was no issue as I had spares. But it bears considering that if you don't plan on having spares around, you might spend a few more bucks and buy from someone with local stock in case of any warranty issues.

I will also recommend re aiming your lights after installing any drop in HID kit. The HID bulbs generate light completely differently and will tend to scatter much more in a halogen housing. Do everyone else on the road a favor by not blinding them.
Unpossible. :( Aiming them down helps, but they still scatter light everywhere. The sad truth is that you will never get a good pattern or cutoff with HID's used in lenses designed for halogen capsules.

Richard

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
100% agree, same here. Had one lock on the relay while truck was sitting in storage and it burnt the harness to a crisp. When I popped the relay open to see WTF; it was all corroded from moisture.

Again same. I only ever had 1 ballast that gave me problems and they replaced it no questions asked; the delay was no issue as I had spares. But it bears considering that if you don't plan on having spares around, you might spend a few more bucks and buy from someone with local stock in case of any warranty issues.

Unpossible. :( Aiming them down helps, but they still scatter light everywhere. The sad truth is that you will never get a good pattern or cutoff with HID's used in lenses designed for halogen capsules.

Richard

I got lucky with my smoked eBay housings. I have a definitive cutoff line. Not crisp by any means like a projector gives you but it is discernible. I have a couple stray scattered beams but in areas that won't affect traffic. I aimed according to the light patterns. Being eBay lights I can't say that this was planned. I chalk it up to a dumb coincidence that I got a set of housings that just happened to work decent with HIDs. I can't imagine a $150 set of housings having any sort of reflector beam testing aside from what may be required for federal DOT regs. My cutoff is noticeable for low beams. It's not perfect. And not what it should be by any means. But for aftermarket clear housings and drop in HIDs, it's exceptional. I've been blinded by various kits in various vehicles and housings. I had someone drive mine at me head on while I was in my GP and I was not blinded. Which surprised me because some vehicles blind me in that thing with halogens lol.

Sent from a flagged XT1254
Tyler/T-Unit

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All right, thanks guys, super nice to know for later on, I did run across a guy recently who makes light kits and stuff and when I can rack up the extra funds, he does HID's and switch back parking lights with corner bulbs all matching along with the 4-Hi mod kit so I think that's what I'm gonna go with, I'll have to ask him about the harnesses and stuff now just so I don't end up with any problems

Duke1500

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my left HID not always turning on, sometimes I will have to turn it off and on several times to get it to cut on. It will glicker, but won't turn on. The HID's are some that were already installed when I bought the truck. I've checked all of the wiring and everything seems to be in order. I know that the kit is from HIDKIT.COM. If anyone knows what's going on, help would be appreciated.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my left HID not always turning on, sometimes I will have to turn it off and on several times to get it to cut on. It will glicker, but won't turn on. The HID's are some that were already installed when I bought the truck. I've checked all of the wiring and everything seems to be in order. I know that the kit is from HIDKIT.COM. If anyone knows what's going on, help would be appreciated.
You can switch a bulb/Ballast from one side to the other to isolate/narrow down which one of the 2 is the issue and order a new component. What you posted sums up my 4-5 year history with hids, They're bright and cool when they work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Cato Vik

Reaction score
Anybody here installed a in-cab hight adjustment of the headlight? that is one of the criteria to have HID leagaly installed up here where I live.

Reaction score
I have a 91 k1500 what exact kit do I need from ddm tuning? I’m still a little lost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any good info on the sealed beam/h6054 kits. Since I gotta get a new housing anyway, I figure I may as well get decent projectors. I heard the cheap o eBay ones that look like and say projector, aren't actually lenses, they're just hunks of plastic. Can anyone shed light on these?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk