A/c rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
93 stepside 5.7, want Ac! I want to rebuild my ac. Bought this rebuild kit from amazon
You must be registered for see images attach

My question is if I rebuild the whole system is it necessary to vacuum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

454Suburban

Reaction score
93 stepside 5.7, want Ac! I want to rebuild my ac. Bought this rebuild kit from amazon
You must be registered for see images attach

My question is if I rebuild the whole system is it necessary to vacuum?

Yes, you do need to vacuum the system. Also, if the system was originally R12, you will want to replace the hoses with "barrier" type if going to 134a. I also replace the condenser coil with a parallel flow type. Clean your evaporator coil while the system is open. There are a few cleaners on the market.

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can I do this myself?, rentable? Do I vacuum after I change all the parts?I never messed with Ac. Any good write ups on this as I can’t imagine being the first. Did a search but not exactly what I wanted and not enough pics

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes,Take a little time and do some reading, it is not rocket science but there is some common simple mistakes to make if you don't know what to look for. Such as gauge / hose connector fitment , good seals in your gauge hoses etc etc. Good set of gauges and hoses.
Actually changing out the parts is the easy part. And if you don't have dye to add, you may want to get freon with dye. It makes it easier to chase leaks if you end up with some.
I don't know if they rent vac pumps or not, I bought a harborfreight 3 stage many years ago and still have it. If auto parts dont rent or loan, I am sure your equipment rental place does.

Last edited:

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Can I do this myself?, rentable? Do I vacuum after I change all the parts?I never messed with Ac. Any good write ups on this as I can’t imagine being the first. Did a search but not exactly what I wanted and not enough pics

Search the internet, you tube, etc, not just here. Properly rebuilding an automotive AC system is not brand specific. The steps to drain, vacuum and refill are pretty much the same for any vehicle.

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Autozone rents the gauge and the vacuum. Actually have a little Freon I think In my 93. Have the service manual and was going over procedure.. clutch clicks on at least 8x a minute and one line is well not cold but cool [emoji41]

ericinga

Reaction score
I did this in my 88 C1500 last month. System had been converted to R134 by PO but did not have pressure. Orifice tube had compressor debris in it. I bought the 4 Seasons compressor kit, condenser and hose set at Rockauto. Flushed the evaporator. I bought extra 150 PAG oil, emptied the PAG oil from the compressor and added 8 oz of oil.

Used a compressor vacuum motor for 30 minutes to pull a vacuum. Let it sit for 24 hours on a gauge set. Held pressure. Then, charged it with 40 oz of R134. Idling in 90 degree Atlanta traffic it blows cold air. Thinking about adding a condenser fan to help with the stop and go traffic. It does get warmer without air flow