Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brantly

Reaction score
So my 98 hasnt had A/C working in years. The clutch on the compressor wasnt engaging so i got a new compressor (yes i know it couldve just been the low pressure switch but decided itd be nice to get a new compressor anyways).I got a new freon pressure senor the one on the back of the compressor, I replaced the shrader valve for the freon and filled it up to the green, it only took about hapf a bottle of the small freon bottles but said it had pressure and i tried two different gauges to make sure. When turning on the ac now the clutch engages and disengages every 5 or so seconds and the air is still hot, the pressure goes up and down pretty fast too but stays in the green, im not trying to take it to a shop and get charged out the a with this. Im not sure what to try next i was going to replace the orface tube thing and also a low pressure switch but not sure if its gonna help. any help would be greatly appreciated as its been 113 here in california pretty often the last couple weeks, thanks!

Brantly

Reaction score
the compressor also makes a sorta whining noise when running like a bad bearing or something and when the clutch disengages and stops spinning it kinda makes a pinging noise that really noticeable. The compressor was prefilled with 3oz of oil so im not sure if it needs more oil or if its something else.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not taking it to a shop and doing A/C work without a clue is a recipe for failure. Not trying to beat you up about it.. but seriously.. there's a little bit of skill involved in achieving properly functioning A/C and it does not include using the little gauge on the DIY recharge bottles.

Clutch air gap sounds off or maybe the replacement compressor is defective. Charge is likely incorrect as well. Have someone with a real set of gauges at least confirm the operating pressures.

Truth is a compressor replacement should have involved a system flush, new orifice tube, and new accumulator. Some go ahead and replace the condenser too because they can be difficult to flush if the old compressor has contaminated the system at all.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my 98 hasnt had A/C working in years.
Needs REAL, COMPETENT service work.

The clutch on the compressor wasnt engaging so i got a new compressor (yes i know it couldve just been the low pressure switch but decided itd be nice to get a new compressor anyways).
Just did this with my '97. Added a can of refrigerant, compressor didn't run. Bypassed switch, compressor runs. Replaced switch--works good now.

filled it up to the green, it only took about hapf a bottle of the small freon bottles but said it had pressure and i tried two different gauges to make sure. When turning on the ac now the clutch engages and disengages every 5 or so seconds and the air is still hot, the pressure goes up and down pretty fast too but stays in the green,
Grossly under-charged. But that may not be the only problem.

You're measuring the low-side pressure. You need to know the high-side pressure, too. You need a REAL A/C gauge set; which are available as part of various parts-store loaner-tool programs.

But if you don't have the knowledge or experience to use the tools, you're pretty much sunk. You may need the professionals after all.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Yeah, what he said. Save yourself the grief and take it to a reputable shop. Check the local BBB for a good shop.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
You missed several key steps, the biggest of which, is pulling a vacuum in the system to remove all the air and moisture. From there you add some Freon to pressurize the system. Then a leak test can be performed. (some pro machines test for leaks while the system is in vacuum). Next you add Freon up to the specified level. Run the system and check high and low side pressures.

The above is just hitting the tops of the high spots for A/C repair.

Ken